Foreign Extra Stout (and yeast selection)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grant109

Reaction score
I'm still a beginner brewer (bottling my first beer Saturday) so I thought I'd get some help on my next brew. I love the Foreign Extra Stout style. I love the combination of the roasty and fruity/raisin flavors. How is this accomplished? I assume it has to do with the choice of yeast. I'm looking for moderate fruitiness so what yeast should I try?

i made a great FES with cal ale. IMHO, the flavors in that style of beer are coming more from malts. you need to get a good balance of roast barley, chocolate malts, and a few crystal malts (one on the higher end) to get that raisiny quality. an english ale strain would also be good if you want a fruity character also.

i made a great FES with cal ale. IMHO, the flavors in that style of beer are coming more from malts. you need to get a good balance of roast barley, chocolate malts, and a few crystal malts (one on the higher end) to get that raisiny quality. an english ale strain would also be good if you want a fruity character also.

http://www.beersmith.com/Recipes2/recipe_154.htm
this was one of the recipies I had in mind. It sounds like it meets your recommendations too! Any chance I can round off these amounts to something less specific. For example, liquid malt is always 3.3 lbs when this recipe wants 4. Also, it calls for .56lbs which is difficult without a scale.

Back