Force carbonating best bitter.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

america

Reaction score
I'm force carbing an English Best Bitter and want to make sure i'm using enough PSI.

Per the style, i've set the kegerator to ~50 degrees F and I only want about 1 vol of CO2. Per most of the charts i've found online, they say it would only need about 1 PSI to get there. Is this really going to be enough to carb the beer and actually push it out of the beer line?

Actually, to get 1 volume at 1 psi, your temp will need to be about 60˚F. At 50˚F, you would actually need a negative CO2 gauge pressure to keep the carbonation to only 1 volume. You can't serve from a keg where the headspace pressure is less than atmospheric pressure.

To be able to serve at 50˚F and 1 volume of carb, you will need a beer gas system. Using 25% CO2, 75% N2 beer gas, you would store and serve at 37 psi (gauge) and 50˚F.

Brew on :mug:

I've been using this chart.

What is the minimum vol. CO2 you think I could get at 50 degrees?
According to the chart, 1 psi @ 50˚F will give you about 1.18 volumes. My calculator, that apparently uses a different curve fit equation, says 1.2 volumes. 1 psi will barely give you a trickle out of the tap (and if the tap is 2 ft above the keg you get nothing), and most regulators can't be set accurately to 1 psi. If you want to use a CO2 only system, you're going to have to compromise on your carbonation level.

According to the chart, 1 psi @ 50˚F will give you about 1.18 volumes. My calculator, that apparently uses a different curve fit equation, says 1.2 volumes. 1 psi will barely give you a trickle out of the tap (and if the tap is 2 ft above the keg you get nothing), and most regulators can't be set accurately to 1 psi. If you want to use a CO2 only system, you're going to have to compromise on your carbonation level.

Thanks for the quick replies! I use picnic taps so the tap is normally around keg height. That being said, I guess i'll just go with 4-5 PSI and call it a day.

Remember that 1.1 volumes is basically flat, like what it is out of the fermenter.

It's fine for cask ale, I guess, but I like my beer to be carbonated otherwise. You may like it that way, but I bet you'd like it better at 7 or 8 psi anyway.

Remember that 1.1 volumes is basically flat, like what it is out of the fermenter.

It's fine for cask ale, I guess, but I like my beer to be carbonated otherwise. You may like it that way, but I bet you'd like it better at 7 or 8 psi anyway.

Thanks yoops.

I should have mentioned I also had it at 38 degrees and 30 psi for almost a day so it should have enough to at least get through the line. I'll purge the keg and see where it's at and adjust.

Back