For any electricians out there

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It sounds like the OP may have some of the cloth cove wiring in places. I had that in my mid 1940's house throughout, just about all gone. I replaced mine branch by branch as I remodeled rooms. Different parts of the house, as mentioned, may have different types of wiring. Additions are usually permitted and you can often get that information from town hall. My house has four listed additions but a bathroom that I have surmised was added shortly after building did not show up. I am not sure if that was because of the time period. Judging from the work done, the plumber was a hack or paid very cheaply. Anyway, if you know when renovations occurred, it can help to understand what type of wiring may be in place. Old houses with fuses had sparse wiring in general as well as there weren't so many electrical draws in the past either. When the service is updated to breakers, then sometimes new outlets and lighting are added. I'm not sure if the OP is saying they had the breaker box installed or if it was already there 25 years ago.

Maybe the wiring in the attic was attached to a lightening rod? I've never seen one up close.

My Dad's house (built in 1900) was full of that. And gas pipes for lighting fixtures in every room. All long since abandoned of course.
I've seen it a few times, once operational but that was about 25 years ago. Other places were where the knobs were left in place. It's pretty distinctive.

It sounds like the OP may have some of the cloth cove wiring in places. I had that in my mid 1940's house throughout, just about all gone. I replaced mine branch by branch as I remodeled rooms. Different parts of the house, as mentioned, may have different types of wiring. Additions are usually permitted and you can often get that information from town hall. My house has four listed additions but a bathroom that I have surmised was added shortly after building did not show up. I am not sure if that was because of the time period. Judging from the work done, the plumber was a hack or paid very cheaply. Anyway, if you know when renovations occurred, it can help to understand what type of wiring may be in place. Old houses with fuses had sparse wiring in general as well as there weren't so many electrical draws in the past either. When the service is updated to breakers, then sometimes new outlets and lighting are added. I'm not sure if the OP is saying they had the breaker box installed or if it was already there 25 years ago.

Maybe the wiring in the attic was attached to a lightening rod? I've never seen one up close.

I did the same. Probably only one or two branches left with paper. Lots of yellow romex everywhere now.

So this is what knob and tube looks like.
View attachment 818499
Yes, I am familiar with what it looks like. I believe that is what I have throughout the house, with exception of where remodeling was done when I moved in. Kitchen mostly. Either way, I am scrapping the idea until I can get somebody out there to either run a dedicated line for any appliance I might have, or kick the kids out so I have more freezer room. LOL

I think you hit it right. It is like a cloth weave covering the wires. My wife's uncle, who was a firefighter and contractor replaced all the kitchen wire with Romex and GFCI plugs, and those appear to be grounded. Not having opened any of the faceplates on the plugs in years, I seem to remember there were white and black wires in each of the boxes. I replaced most of the plugs but I cannot remember if I ran any kind of ground from the plug to the metal box on the stud. Either way, I am going to get one of those plug in testers and run thru the house. I am also going to see if a buddy who lives out of town but visit's on occasion will look at it. He is an electrician who does mostly commercial but I am sure he might be able to at least look at what I have and give me an idea of what i need to do.

Thanks to all who replied

I think you hit it right. It is like a cloth weave covering the wires. My wife's uncle, who was a firefighter and contractor replaced all the kitchen wire with Romex and GFCI plugs, and those appear to be grounded. Not having opened any of the faceplates on the plugs in years, I seem to remember there were white and black wires in each of the boxes. I replaced most of the plugs but I cannot remember if I ran any kind of ground from the plug to the metal box on the stud. Either way, I am going to get one of those plug in testers and run thru the house. I am also going to see if a buddy who lives out of town but visit's on occasion will look at it. He is an electrician who does mostly commercial but I am sure he might be able to at least look at what I have and give me an idea of what i need to do.

Thanks to all who replied
Sorry I was a little late to the thread, but I will add that if you can see around your circuit breaker box (unfinished space), you can get an idea of what might by grounded or not by the wires coming out of the breaker panel itself. Newer wires would have printing on them, mine are all yellow 12/2 W/G. That's a better way to know what you have as an installer may have picked up power at a junction box and run newer lines without properly designating it. Not a complete tell either as they may have only run the new line to a junction box and left the old wiring. Now you wouldn't know exactly which breaker feeds which branch wire exiting the panel without taking the cover off (never assume!) but only take the panel cover off if you know how to do so SAFELY!

Thanks to all. Gonna just let this thread run it's course. The bottom line is that I don't know exactly, but am pretty sure the wrapped wire that an earlier poster stated is what I have. Either way, I am not touching anything until I can get somebody over to tell me what I have. Also, I might get a few estimates on how to upgrade the wiring and make it safer than it is now, and maybe add a few plugs throughout the house. Seems when they built it, plugs were a miimum. Like one to two a room if lucky. LOL. Either way, thanks to all who posted. I appreciate all the info. Rock On!!!!!!!

Back