Is this correct?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin58

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I had an electrician at the house recently to do some work in the basement. While he was here I asked if he could also wire my Anvil Foundry 10.5 to use the outlet for my dryer. I am not an electrician and know next to nothing about it so forgive me if I don't use the correct terms... the dryer uses a straight blade, three prong configuration. He said sure and continued on with the major work I called him for in the first place and went back upstairs. Apparently after the big job was done (I am completely happy with that work) he passed off my Foundry project to his son who did this (see picture).

This is not what I want. I looked around and found this replacement plug by ELEGRP (see link). My question is - can I use this on the end of my Foundry cord? How do I connect the wires from the Foundry cord to this plug? The cord on the Foundry is already cut obviously so if this isn't going to work what do I do now? Note: I will need an extension since the foundry cord by itself will not reach the outlet on the wall.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ELEGRP-...e-Angle-Plug-Black-S103050P/317624658#overlay

Attachments

• IMG_8001.jpg
    IMG_8001.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
To use my dryer socket, I plugged in this switch, then plugged the dryer to one socket and my brewery to the other socket. I had to use an adapter between the brewery plug and this socket. now when I want to brew I just flip the switch.

If I were in your shoes I’d call the electrician and explain that this isn’t what you wanted and ask that he come give you what you want. I am sure he’d be happy to give his customer what he wants.
CFBA78DC-CC7E-49DB-9839-0E8477789947.jpeg

Yes, you can put that plug on your cord. Does your dryer outlet have three straight slots (50A), or two straight and one bent (30A)?

Brew on :mug:

@brewbama Where did you get that switcher? (found it. Holy cow that's a pricey bit of cable)

I think I got it from Home Depot. It was expensive but beats the crap out of moving the dryer, unplugging it, plugging in the brewery, moving the dryer back, brewing, moving the dryer, unplugging the brewery, plugging in the dryer, and moving the dryer back every time I want to brew.

IMO, it took one brew day to realize 100% ROI.

It was expensive but beats the crap out of moving the dryer, unplugging it, plugging in the brewery, moving the dryer back, brewing, moving the dryer, unplugging the brewery, plugging in the dryer, and moving the dryer back every time I want to brew.
You should sue the electrician who put the outlet behind the dryer instead of above it.;)

I'm not sure what we're looking at in the picture. I see that it has NEMA 10-30P on the grey wire but what is the round black cord connected to?

Edit: I think what you're saying is that they used the metal box to join the foundry cord to a replacement dryer cord. This will work as is. You already said you'd need an extension so is this not long enough?

Last edited:
Here is what I came up with following the video from short circuited brewing. Since the electrician cut the end off of my Anvil Foundry cord I had to replace that. I could have replaced it with a plug that matched my dryer outlet but I'm not certain I'm going to keep this unit and the next user might not have the same outlet to use.

Next I bought 4 feet of cord and female replacement outlet just as suggested in Brian's video. It may not be operationally any different than what the electrician did but it looks a lot better.

Attachments

• Anvil Cord Repair.jpg
    Anvil Cord Repair.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back