Foamy Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jschnyderite

Reaction score
I bought a couple kegs a few weeks ago and hooked em into my keezer. They are both pouring mostly foam. I looked through some threads and tried some troubleshooting on my own with no luck.

It doesn't seem much better on the second pour. My pressure was set at 12psi and freezer is around 33 degrees -- i like my beer cold =) both are lagers.

I read over-carbing can cause foam so I turned my pressure down below 10...will it even out after a couple pours if that is the cause?

I've had other kegs that have poured fine before, so I don't think it is the tower insulation...any other ideas and ways to fix it? Hoping to be rockin' and rollin' by new years.

Thanks!!

The best advice I can give is to serve at 1 psi per foot of beer line you are pushing. My beer lines are 4 feet, so I turn my kegs down to 4psi to serve!

Good Luck!

thanks!! I'm sure my lines are longer than that...is this keg already messed up, or will lowering it now fix my issue?

The best advice I can give is to serve at 1 psi per foot of beer line you are pushing. My beer lines are 4 feet, so I turn my kegs down to 4psi to serve!

Good Luck!

If you had already over carbed it, just lowering the reg pressure won't fix it. You'll want to turn off the gas and release the pressure several times over a few days.

Switch to longer lines, say 12ft of 3/16", you will be glad you did. I know that I was (and still am).

thanks!! I'm sure my lines are longer than that...is this keg already messed up, or will lowering it now fix my issue?

I do it all the time. I carb at 10 psi, serve at 4psi (using pressure relief before serving) I get about an inch or so of head. Obviously the fix in the long run for me is to upgrade my lines to 10ft, but for now, this trick is satisfactory.

If you had already over carbed it, just lowering the reg pressure won't fix it. You'll want to turn off the gas and release the pressure several times over a few days.

Switch to longer lines, say 12ft of 3/16", you will be glad you did. I know that I was (and still am).

Longer lines have no downside except a slightly slower pour. I bought 15' lines because the highest carbonation I could anticipate is 3.5 vol, and that's what it took.

Latest posts

Back