foamy beer, no solutions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McClellandBrew

Reaction score
Any guidance/experience out there?

I have homebrew (an IPA) in my kegerator now. I've spent hours and many beers trying to figure out this over foamed beer problem. I thought I had over carbonated it a month a go. De-carbed it, recarbed at 10psi for two weeks (the old set it and forget it method) My kegerator is sitting around 40 degrees. My beer line is 6ft (5ft connected to a 1 ft stainless steel tower tube). The tube is 3"16. I have a tower cooler. Everything is sealed tight with rubber washers where needed. No leaks.
I've tried serving it at 2, 8, 10 and 12 psi. Still all foam
Everything seems to be checked, and rechecked. Should be perfect.

I've never had this problem in the past.

Any other ideas on what this could be?

The only thing I can think of is using this old blue moon keg. Maybe something is just faulty with the keg.
Hmm...

No need to post the same thing twice.

Regardless of what's worked for you in the past, we're all going to recommend increasing your line length to 10'. Everyone suggested that in the last thread, yet you've ignored us. I would try that first since it's cheap and easy.

If you're getting constant foam, there could a problem with the coupler/spear injecting CO2 right into the beer line. Maybe you didn't re-assemble it properly? I've only served commercial beer out of sankes so I can't help much there.

I've never had this problem in the past.

Since you have two threads, I'll ask two questions (you can answer the other question in the other thread).
What did you change?
You never had this problem in the past, and then one day you started having problems. What did you change?

Jesus Christ people. Sorry for posting the same thing twice.
It didnt show up that I posted first so I posted again.
No need to get so offended.

10 ft lines make no sense. One foot of line can handle 2psi.
I'm not serving my beer above 15 psi. I've had 5-6 foot lines forever and they've always worked. My dad the same for 25 years.

I did change my keg tap tower with the foot long stainless steel 3/16" connecting to a 5 foot hose. I'm thinking it has to be this change but I have no idea why this would be the cause when it's supposed to simplify things.

Again, sorry for the double post

40 degrees is kind of a warm temp for beer. Not to mention its probably hotter at the faucet. Ever try messing with the temperature. Ps. I didnt read your other thread - I dont care that much. I just know I have an 8" collar on my keezer and my beer was coming out foamy for the longest with a 14 degree difference from keg to faucet. Bought a fan solved all my probelms. Yay for cold beer!! :drunk:

There could be a burr or something else in the stainless that's acting as a nucleation site for CO2 to leave the solution. I'd try removing it and see what happens. I do suspect the coupler or keg though. Try using a keg that's worked fine in the past.

I'll say it again: even though your 5' lines have worked for you in the past, as Bobby said in your other thread there are hundreds of us that have found that 5' simply isn't long enough for a balanced pour. This is why pretty much everyone in the other thread recommended this. You asked us for advice, you don't need to get upset when we give it to you. We're trying to help.

i have 5' lines and my beer pours fine at 12-15PSI and 38F and i even tried a 4' line to see what it would change. made no difference and i stuck with the 6' line so i could take the keg in and out of the keezer and remove the disconnects easier. that's not as big of an issue as everyone makes it out to be.

A fan like tylo suggested may be a good idea. i know that i had a 5F temp difference in my keezer from top to bottem before i added a fan. i also made sure my lines weren't directly sitting again the keezer walls allowing one stop to get really cold.

if the only thing you changed in your setup was the tower, then have a closer look at that. maybe it's warmer then the beer and lines.

Thanks for the advice. I do appreciate it. I do have a tower cooling fan because I've had that problem in the past. First beer and a half was foamy then perfect pours after that. I wasn't using the fan for awhile because I was just using a black spicket which was working alright, not great but better. It's been over 24 hours so I will try a beer tonight and see if the temperature of the ss tube/tower changed.

I did change my keg tap tower with the foot long stainless steel 3/16" connecting to a 5 foot hose. I'm thinking it has to be this change but I have no idea why this would be the cause when it's supposed to simplify things.

The 3/16ths diameter stainless does not have the same restriction per foot as 3/16ths beer tubing. Try a slightly longer beer line. Although with 5 feet of beer line you should still have plenty of restriction for serving at 12 psi. I have never needed lines longer than 6 feet and don't subscribe to the 10 foot beer line will fix all problems theory. Try using a different keg or going back to a standard faucet and tail piece. Change one variable at a time to try and isolate what is causing the problem.

Latest posts

Back