Foaming/Bubbles/CO2 in only one of my four keg lines?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

collinsDPT

Reaction score
This is driving me insane. I have significant foaming issues on only one of my kegs (currently 3 others attached to same CO2 tank and manifold). I use the set-it-and-forget-it method at 11-12 psi, so I am not thinking it is close to being overcarbed.

Here are the details:

Keezer @ 40 deg F
3/16 ID tubing x 5 feet for each keg
One CO2 regulator attached to manifold with 4 outputs, all set to same pressure
Perlick SS faucets
First 3 pour without issue and acceptable head - beverage line stays full of beer, no instance of bubbles or CO2

The line I am having trouble with immediately pours a mix of CO2/beer and creates massive foam, almost "burps" as it continues pouring. Then, as the faucet is closed, the line has tons of bubbles and a little beer, which stays until the next pour. Does not matter how many pints are poured, bubbles and burping continue. Also, if I disconnect the Bev QD and then re-connect it, no beer or anything shoots into and fills the line, as is typical with all my other kegs.

After reading the forums, today I replaced the beverage QD, broke down the OUT post and replaced/lubed the diptube o-ring as well as the poppit o-ring. Nothing was clogged inside the Beverage poppit. I tightened the hell out of the bev QD and the hose clamp. After all that, no difference made when pouring. I have a hard time believing that only this keg is overcarbed when the other 3 are fine and I use set it forget it method at low psi. I have a hard time believing it is temperature, as all lines are stored in the same keezer at 40 degrees.

Do I truly have overcarbed beer? Or, do I have a bad beverage side poppit? Please help!!!!

I think of two things.

One, you still have a leak in the line. That is the main cause of bubbles in the line.

Two, your pick up/beer out tube may be clogged.

One thing to try, switching some lines out on another keg. If the problem continues, it's the line. If not, it's in the keg, either the pick up tube or carbonation.

Thx for the input. Though, I'm assuming you said the line switch backwards, right? If problem goes away, problem is the line. If it doesn't, it might be pick-up tube?

Assuming you don't have the out post atop the short gas dip tube, either the out dip tube o-ring is missing or compromised (I know, you said you checked that) or you have a hole in the long dip tube. Either way, CO2 is being injected into the beer stream directly from the head space, so the problem is at the keg...

Cheers!

Assuming you don't have the out post atop the short gas dip tube, either the dip tube o-ring is missing or compromised or you have a hole in the long dip tube...

Cheers!

I have used this keg previously without issue. I replaced the o-ring today. Do holes in the dip tube magically appear?
:(

I just came in from the garage. I took out the dip tube. No holes anywhere. I removed the diptube o-ring and re-lubed it. I made sure the poppit was working and there was no obstruction there, or in diptube. Hooked back up to gas, purged O2, and poured a pint. By the end of the pint, no more burping in the line, and there was only a small amount of CO2 being released and floating to the QD and the faucet (the two highest points). I will check again in the morning to see if the problem is gone.

Thanks for the help!

I have used this keg previously without issue. I replaced the o-ring today. Do holes in the dip tube magically appear?
:(

I just came in from the garage. I took out the dip tube. No holes anywhere. I removed the diptube o-ring and re-lubed it. I made sure the poppit was working and there was no obstruction there, or in diptube. Hooked back up to gas, purged O2, and poured a pint. By the end of the pint, no more burping in the line, and there was only a small amount of CO2 being released and floating to the QD and the faucet (the two highest points). I will check again in the morning to see if the problem is gone.

Thanks for the help!

Hopefully that solved the issue, but if not, I'd inspect the surfaces that the liquid diptube o-ring mates with. That would be the underside of the flange on the diptube, and the top of the liquid side keg post. If there's a nick or scratch in the metal it can let the gas through even if the o-ring is in good shape. Not tightening the post fitting onto the post enough can also let gas through.

Back