Foam pattern in pint

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beersk

Reaction score
Can anyone think of a reason why this would happen in a German helles?

2wfkeg6.jpg

Didn't see it at first, wow. Looks like you need to do an exorcism on that beer to get rid of Hitler's ghost! That's terrible.

Maybe oils from your lips/skin killing the head in certain spots but not others?

Someone in another forum suggested oils or fatty acids. I don't know where those come from, but I always rinse my glassware before pouring a beer.
I don't think the flavor is affected on this beer, but it's ugly and weird looking. And it only seems to happen on my light lagers.

Someone in another forum suggested oils or fatty acids. I don't know where those come from, but I always rinse my glassware before pouring a beer.
I don't think the flavor is affected on this beer, but it's ugly and weird looking. And it only seems to happen on my light lagers.

Does it look like this when you pour or only after a few sips? I'd still wager it's oils from your lips/skin. I assume your light lagers use adjunct which will result in weaker head retention unless you've added in something like carapils to compensate.

Oh man, I really thought that was a joke! Sorry, I guess there's just something wrong with me because I definitely saw a swastika in the foam. I feel feel like a huge a-hole now... Disregard everything I've said, and hurl insults at me if you want...

Does it look like this when you pour or only after a few sips? I'd still wager it's oils from your lips/skin. I assume your light lagers use adjunct which will result in weaker head retention unless you've added in something like carapils to compensate.

No adjuncts in this lager. Just straight up Best Malz pils. Someone also suggested that it could be because of a large head formed in the initial pour and proteins drop the head out in spots. I don't know...I don't know how to stop it. I wonder if it would have anything to do with a step mash schedule, Hochkurz, rest at 144, then step up to 158. Doubt it though...I don't know what else it could be. It doesn't seem to be infected or anything.

Oh man, I really thought that was a joke! Sorry, I guess there's just something wrong with me because I definitely saw a swastika in the foam. I feel feel like a huge a-hole now... Disregard everything I've said, and hurl insults at me if you want...

No big deal, man.

I have the same thing happen to my ales out of my keg. Not sure why. Still a keg noob but interested to find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back