Floral or stale taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dropitlikesitshot

Reaction score
So I brewed NB English Pale Ale and I am not thrilled with the result. There is no real flavor to it and the one flavor that I can pick out is not flattering. I can't decide if it's floral or stale that I am tasting. Initially I kegged it, but the pressure valve was not keeping sealed so it sat in my kegorator for a week at no pressure. I then bottled it (with priming sugar...it did seem to somewhat carbonate after two weeks) and tried one tonight. Would sitting in the 5 gal keg for a week or more be different then sitting in it's secondary fermenter (which it did)?

the only thing i could speculate is that the carboy has an airlock, which allows for the co2 to blow out. maybe the airlock pushes the oxygen trapped in the carboy out as well when it bubbles? the keg on the other hand has no airlock, so if it's sitting for a week in contact with oxygen, it could be getting stale by oxidation in its environment.

how long was it in secondary before it was kegged?

Back