Floating Dip Tube = Low Carbonation Issue?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berube05734

Reaction score
First time using floating dip tubes. My PSI is set appropriately for the type of beers / fridge temp, my lines are the correct length and I'm using the same recipes. Nothing has changed (and the beers have always poured great), but with these two... after 3 weeks of being hooked up to the CO2 tank, I still have little carbonation at the onset of the pour, little head and both lasts for just a minute and dissipates. The only aspect of the brew / kegging was going to a floating dip tube.

I bumped up the PSI a bit and there was no improvement.

I have the hop filter attached to the end of the dip tube. When tested in water, the dip tube stayed submerged approx. 2" below the surface once I added a SS nut.

I sprayed soapy water on ever connection from the tank to the keg and there doesn't appear to be any leaks.

Thoughts? I'd have thought it would be appropriately carbed by now.

What is the temperature of the beer and what is the pressure setting? How confident are you in your regulator's gauge? How confident are you in the beer's temperature? What kind of beer is it?

Also, head that "lasts for just a minute" might imply a simple head retention issue vice a carbonation issue, i.e. there is foam.

A floating dip tube (and its float, if the float is not submereged) does reduce the surface area of the beer a little. But I have packaged quite a few batches with floating dips and haven't noticed a difference. That's not to say that there wasn't an impact, but there was not enough impact to cause issues for me. And I can't say that I've heard of anyone else having an issue with this before.

What is the temperature of the beer and what is the pressure setting? How confident are you in your regulator's gauge? How confident are you in the beer's temperature? What kind of beer is it?

Also, head that "lasts for just a minute" might imply a simple head retention issue vice a carbonation issue, i.e. there is foam.

A floating dip tube (and its float, if the float is not submereged) does reduce the surface area of the beer a little. But I have packaged quite a few batches with floating dips and haven't noticed a difference. That's not to say that there wasn't an impact, but there was not enough impact to cause issues for me. And I can't say that I've heard of anyone else having an issue with this before.
Both are IPAs, BeerSmith's recommended PSI for both is 2.3. Fridge temp ranges between 33-34. Pressure was initially set to 8 and that's where it's stayed until a couple of days ago when I bumped it up to 10 the night before - no change.

I first thought that possibly the filter was somehow diffusing the bubbles and affecting the level and type of carbonation in the poured beer. My beer lines rest behind the kegs, close and likely sometimes resting against the the back which has to be colder than the front of the fridge. But that would mean that I would need to reduce the PSI, not increase it.

Could pulling the beer through that fine filter affect the type of bubbles/carbonation?

I believe that recommendation from BeerSmith was supposed to be 2.3 volumes, not PSI. Try bringing the PSI up to 15 and let it sit a couple days and test it. It needs time to absorb, or shake it for faster results. Once it's at the level you like, drop it down to 10-12. I only use floating diptubes, so I know it's not that.

Edit: Your not pulling the beer through the filter, your pushing it. So it should be fine going through.

I've used FDTs many times with no noticeable difference in carb time, or carb outcome; certainly no difference in head amt or retention.

Your not pulling the beer through the filter, your pushing it. So it should be fine going through.
Duh, you're right...it's pushing, not pulling! Appreciate the correction re the PSI...will bump it up to 15 and hopefully that fixes the issue. I did swap out tanks, but I can't see how that'd affect anything.

Thanks again:)

Is this keg more full than previous ones? If there is very little headspace (like if you filled higher than the gas tube) it could take longer to carbonate than usual.

The top of the kegs will be warmer than the bottom so you're pickup up from the least carbonated beer which is the opposite from before. Get a fan in the kegerator or raise the pressure.

The top of the kegs will be warmer than the bottom so you're pickup up from the least carbonated beer which is the opposite from before. Get a fan in the kegerator or raise the pressure.
Of course! Now that you've explained this, I'm sure this is what was going on. I did raise the pressure and it's much better and the carbonation bubbles are much larger - more normal. I was afraid that someone the filter I had attached to the dip tube was somehow reducing the size of the bubbles and affecting the carbonation in the glass. Initially, the bubbles were so small that it was nearly impossible to emit a belch. I jokingly said to my husband that it was diet beer as we both felt so full after a single glass. 😆

Even though carbonation charts say 8 psi with 33 F is 2.3 volumes, I've always found that I need to go 10 to 12 to get the carbonation I like. I'd bump it up and see if that helps after a week.

Even though carbonation charts say 8 psi with 33 F is 2.3 volumes, I've always found that I need to go 10 to 12 to get the carbonation I like. I'd bump it up and see if that helps after a week.
What it really means is that 2.3 volumes is kind of on the low end for most styles. I like my pales and IPA around 2.6.

Latest posts

Back