Floating dip tupe/keg purge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adyb

Reaction score
I'm looking at possibly converting some of my kegs to floating dip tubes.
How do people who have done this then purge their kegs? I usually use the fill the keg with starsan amd push out with co2 method, but imagine quite a bit of starsan will be left in the keg with a floating dip tube. Anyone able to share any experience with this would be much appreciated.
Cheers

I use the same process and always purge until i'm pushing out nothing but CO2 and a little starsan foam. I don't think there's as much liquid in the bottom of the keg as you might think. That's if you measure the length of the tube correctly. The benefit of the floating dip tube is drawing beer from the top of the liquid, not necessarily being able to avoid drawing trub from the bottom. Now if you have a filter on the end of the floating dip tube, that could cause the tube not to reach the bottom.

You're fine with a floating dip tube and your keg purge process. Go for it

I use the same process and always purge until i'm pushing out nothing but CO2 and a little starsan foam. I don't think there's as much liquid in the bottom of the keg as you might think. That's if you measure the length of the tube correctly. The benefit of the floating dip tube is drawing beer from the top of the liquid, not necessarily being able to avoid drawing trub from the bottom. Now if you have a filter on the end of the floating dip tube, that could cause the tube not to reach the bottom.

You're fine with a floating dip tube and your keg purge process. Go for it
Shorten the length of the Gas In tube to where it is flush with the inside of the keg. After you have purged the bulk of the Star San, keep the keg pressurized and invert it for a few minutes for the residual liquid to settle to the bottom ('top' of the inverted keg). Then, while holding the inverted keg over a sink, depress the poppet on the Gas In post. You can get the final 5~10 ml of sanitizer out using this method. I use a spare Grey keg post connector to depress the poppet, but a stubby Phillips screw driver works as well.

Or just leave the tiny amount of Star San (dilute food grade acid) in the keg. 5~10 ml diluted into 5 gallons/18L of beer will likely never be noticed, especially if you appreciate a "clean" tasting beer! :ghostly:

Back