Is there enough space in a keg for floating dip tubes and hydrometers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wig

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want to ferement and serve from the same keg and was wondering if there is enough space in a keg to effectively use a floating dip tube AND a Tilt (or similar) device. I was thinking the dip tube would interfere with the operation of the hydrometer.

I’ve done this with a Tilt alongside either a Clear Beer or a FlotIt. I had one problem with the CBDS not fully emptying the keg, though it may just have been the float being finicky rather than bumping up into the Tilt. No problems at all with the FlotIt (2.0). And no problems with bad reading from the Tilts in either case.

When I switched from stainless steel fermenters to fermenting in kegs, I found I needed a repeater inside the chest freezer to reliably pick up Tilt signal outside.

Thank you for the reply, the confirmation it can work and the tip on the repeater.

I was deciding between the CBDS and the 2.0 and was leaning towards the 2.0 because it seemed smaller and would take up less space. Likewise with the Tilt, it seems smaller than it's counterparts.

Other inputs still welcome.

why do you need a hydrometer inside the keg?

Just use a picnic tap to take samples. I ferment and serve in the keg.

IMG_0411.JPG

I like to have hour-resolved gravity measurements to decide when to start spunding.
wow, that's dedication...or OCD.

I don't have that kinda time on my hands. After a couple/few days with a blow off tube, I'll just cap it and let it go. I use the blue/purple/red low pressure PRV valves to let it spund.

why do you need a hydrometer inside the keg?

Just use a picnic tap to take samples. I ferment and serve in the keg.

View attachment 822477
Coolness factor!! ;)
Plus, I don't have a dedicated fermentation chamber, just a large cooler bag that I have to swap in frozen water bottles. The Rapt Pill gives me near real-time temperature readings so I know when and how much ice. The hydrometer function lets me know when fg is reached, which is nice to know but not completely necessary.

Back