Flip top growler question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w0732400

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403225025.437775.jpg

Brewed a Belgium golden strong finished slightly over 10% in the style of delirium tremens for my roommates wedding as groomsmens gifts. We bottled them in flip top growlers. They are about 3.5 weeks in and they have been properly stored in a cool dark place. The pressure has caused the seal to be pushed out and now it is seeping out u can see a slight foam around the seal between the clasp. Do u think the pressure got high enough inside to carb before the seal pushed out or u think they are all going to be flat??? I pitched enough sugar at bottling to hit 3.3% for the style per northern brewer calculator which is high... Thoughts??? Recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Growlers are not meant for carbing. They got their name from the sound they make when releasing gas.

It looks like the seal has slipped, and sorry, they've been oozing out CO2 ever since the seal wasn't tight anymore.

So I probably have 6 1/2 gallon flat growlers?

So I probably have 6 1/2 gallon flat growlers?

Maybe. Maybe not. 3.3 volumes ( I think that is what you meant?) is high, even for some bottles. I would never attempt it in a growler. It may be flat, but that is better than grenades, when it comes down to it.

Are they all like that? I'd try putting them someplace cold, and then trying one to see if it's flat or explosive.

Yes they are all like that

3.3 is high but it's true to style. I'm thinking maybe just maybe they are carbed and once the pressure got pretty high they started to leak a bit which is keep ping them from becoming bombs..... We shall see I'll post results when we pop one.

Back