Flavorful beer - Low ABV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruhaha

Reaction score
I just tapped a Cream Ale (Cream of Three Crops by BierMuncher) using US-05. The beer was designed to be around 1.040 but I got good efficiency and hit 1.050. Then the 05 surprised me and finished lower than I expected at 1.003. Results were a light refreshing summer beer that will kick butt unexpectedly.

I'd like a beer similar to this but cut the abv in half while still retaining good flavor and drinkability. Anyone got a winner recipe I may ask you to share for around 3.5%?

BierMuncher has another recipe that uses rye for a neat flavor component yet the the abv is down around 3.5. I cant remember the exact name but he used Sterling hops in the name. I printed out the recipe some time back thinking I may try it one day.

I'd also suggest slightly higher bitterness than what you're expect. Ordinary bitters are nearly as bitter as best bitters, and that additional bitterness to gravity helps to fool the senses into thinking it's a stronger beer. For a 1.035 ale I'd aim at 30-40IBU.

Back