flavor during first or second fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattvig

Reaction score
Hello all, this is my first beer making process and its currently in the second fermentation which I just started about 20 minutes ago. I used a beer kit as my first brew experience but after this I will do it from scratch. During the first fermentation I added orange peels and squeezed oranges and removed them after 2 days. It has a good flavor but I want it to have more of a citrus flavor, can I add more orange peel or juice to it now that I've started the second fermentation or is it too late?

Fermentation should be done after the primary when you have the same FG for three days straight. Then you rack to the secondary to clear the beer up and I believe this is where you add your orange peel. I've never dry hopped with orange peels, but I imagine is the same as hops. So to answer your question....go for it! Cheers!

Orange peel should be added during the last 10 minutes of the boil. This will extract the most citrus oils and insure the flavor and aroma are locked into your beer.

Don’t add flavoring additives to the primary during active fermentation. Much of the desired flavor will simply be scrubbed away by the churning CO2 being produced.

Oh well I never boiled it because it came in a kit but when should I add sugar, can I add it during the second fermentation or towards the end of fermentation or when I'm bottling it?

The lates time to add zest would be in secondary. don't bottle with it. The only way I add citrus flavors at bottling is with a product in the baking needs isle called Trulemon,Trulime,or Truorange. They're boxes of little packets of crystalized fresh citrus juice that I've found safe for home brews. 2 packets equals 1TBSP of fresh juice. I add that & the priming sugar to 2C of boiled water,stiring well to dissolve.
The crystal has no added sugar or preservatives that'd negatively effect the brew. I use the Trulemon in my wife's Summer Shandy.

So I can add my corn sugar for carbonation towards the last 2 days of fermentation right before bottling?

Back