Flat stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scottsdale

Reaction score
So I've had a milk stout I recently kegged on gas at 20psi for well over 24 hours. I just drew a bit to taste and it's flat as a pancake. Check the regulator on CO2 and it's still in the green.
Do stouts take longer to carbonate?

yes i have noticed my higher gravity stouts take longer to carb than my lagers, also the stouts with flaked barley or oats seems to take even longer.

Set-and-forget takes about 1-2 weeks, depending on the set pressure.

You could burst/force carbonate by rolling/rocking the (cold) keg at 20-30 psi until gas stops rushing in. About 5-7 minutes. It may be overcarbed a bit, so vent off the excess every few hours. Should be good to drink right after each venting, and better after a few days.
But you can drink it right away and be a week or 2 ahead.

fwiw, my 5 gallon kegs of ipas, neipas, wheats and saisons, take ~2.5 weeks to reach equilibrium using chart pressure. Before I got my beer gas setup going I used to carbonate my imperial stouts, and those kegs would take almost twice as many weeks. I expect the difference is due to FG as the stout finishes in the mid-to-upper 20s while the others finish in the low-to-middle teens...

Cheers!

It may also simply be carbonated and you just can't tell.

As an example, I had a Russian Imperial on tap for several months 3, maybe 4), and prior to it going into the frig I burst carbed it. Even down to the last drop, just a few nights ago, stored and served at 12psi the entire time, it felt "flat" whereas the other beers on the same setup were perfect.

It had nothing to do with the setup, system, keg, lines or anything. The fact was, for some reason (High gravity? Grain bill?) it just never seemed carbed. But it was indeed.

Put a little of this stout in a container with a lid, shake it, and see if you don't get a bunch of escaping CO2.

Back