Flameout IPA Hop Experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sybesbrew

Reaction score
I've done the bud light dry hopping tasting experiment in the past (similar to this http://www.bertusbrewery.com/2013/03/dry-hopped-bud-light.html). I used 12 different hops to dry hop bud light and tasted it with a bunch of friends. We all wrote down different words to describe the aroma and/or taste the dry hop imparts. It was fun.

I'd like to take that a step further with a homebrew batch.

My thought is I could produce a bunch of "single hop" IPAs like this:
1. Create a wort with only a 90 or 60 minute bittering charge to give 50~70 IBUs (thinking either warrior or hop extract)
2. split the wort into multiple vessels at flameout
3. add different whirlpool hops to each individual vessel, the thought being I could impart some flavor and aroma if the whirlpool temp is still close to boiling
4. cool the wort and ferment using the a neutral ale yeast (WLP001)
5. dry hop with the same hop that was whirlpooled in each fermentor
6. bottle, label and taste

I'm thinking I brew a 10-12 gallon starting brew and break it into 6 or 7 batches. Planning on experimenting with Nelson, Galaxy, Simcoe, Citra, Centennial, Amarillo and Columbus.

Still a working idea but thought it would be a great experiment for my hops from this years harvest (and some left over from last year) I'm interested in what everyone thinks of the idea.

Cheers.

I've done a similar brew with my old Mr. Beer kegs. I did a 5 gallon batch and split it between 2 kegs. I dry hopped each with 1oz of a different hop variety. Once i bottled the first batch I did the same thing following the same recipe. Definitely helped me out a bit with understanding the hop characteristics. The only thing I'd change would dry hop with more, maybe even double. While the taste and aroma was there, would like more of it.

I've done the bud light dry hopping tasting experiment in the past (similar to this http://www.bertusbrewery.com/2013/03/dry-hopped-bud-light.html).

I'm thinking I brew a 10-12 gallon starting brew and break it into 6 or 7 batches. Planning on experimenting with Nelson, Galaxy, Simcoe, Citra, Centennial, Amarillo and Columbus.

Still a working idea but thought it would be a great experiment for my hops from this years harvest (and some left over from last year) I'm interested in what everyone thinks of the idea.

Cheers.
I love the idea! Please post your results!

Yeah, this is a pretty cool idea! I have been doing a lot of SMaSHes to try and really learn some individual hops and malts, but this is a great idea too!

Couple of things:

What are you going to use for containers with the individual whirlpools? I have a lot of 1 gal carboys (old wine jugs...) but I'd be really leery to put hot wort directly in glass... I do have a few small buckets, but I'm not sure about putting near boiling wort in plastic either...

Also, I think Magnum would be an excellent choice as neutral bittering hop for this experiment...

Sounds like a good idea as long as your ferm vessels can handle the hot wort.

If it were me, I'd throw Sorachi into the list. Love that hop!

I've done a similar brew with my old Mr. Beer kegs. I did a 5 gallon batch and split it between 2 kegs. I dry hopped each with 1oz of a different hop variety. Once i bottled the first batch I did the same thing following the same recipe. Definitely helped me out a bit with understanding the hop characteristics. The only thing I'd change would dry hop with more, maybe even double. While the taste and aroma was there, would like more of it.

Thank you for the feedback. I'm thinking I will do 1 oz at flame out to try to pick up a small amount of bitterness/flavor from the hop and then 1 oz in the dry hop (may split it into 2 additions 1/2 oz each)

Yeah, this is a pretty cool idea! I have been doing a lot of SMaSHes to try and really learn some individual hops and malts, but this is a great idea too!

Couple of things:

What are you going to use for containers with the individual whirlpools? I have a lot of 1 gal carboys (old wine jugs...) but I'd be really leery to put hot wort directly in glass... I do have a few small buckets, but I'm not sure about putting near boiling wort in plastic either...

Also, I think Magnum would be an excellent choice as neutral bittering hop for this experiment...

Magnum probably makes sense. For some reason I keep wanting to use hop extract on everything.... Trying to justify buying a container of it.

As far as containers I have 2 gallon buckets a buddy got from his work. I'm not sure if they would stand up to 180+ for 30 minutes. I had heard on a podcast that in england they do their boils in buckets. I need to do some more research on it. I may just have to raid all of my friends kitchens for their biggest pots to do the whirlpools in.

I did a similar brew a year ago: a four gallon IIPA bittered in the kettle then split into four 5L food-grade PP buckets while still within a few degrees of boiling, four different hopstand hop duos in the buckets followed by dry hops with the same hops as their hopstands. The main thing I learned is that Citra is basically the citrusy IPA's version of a cheat code - the Citra/Simcoe batch blew the other three out of the water.

I did a similar brew a year ago: a four gallon IIPA bittered in the kettle then split into four 5L food-grade PP buckets while still within a few degrees of boiling, four different hopstand hop duos in the buckets followed by dry hops with the same hops as their hopstands. The main thing I learned is that Citra is basically the citrusy IPA's version of a cheat code - the Citra/Simcoe batch blew the other three out of the water.

This is exactly what I'm thinking of doing. I got 2 gallon Polypropylene buckets from a friend of mine that works at Walmart. They were used for frosting previously.

After doing some googling, it appears the buckets should stand up to the heat.
Seems like some brewers boil in the material:
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/64033-polypropylene-safe-to-boil-in/
I know the material is used in solar hot water tanks too.

Back