Flaked wheat substitute

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eelgerg

Reaction score
Making the Oddsides Pale Ale clone. Recipe calls for 12 oz of flaked wheat that I don't have. I do have flaked barley and have heard that you can sub that plus maybe some flaked oats. Would change the flavour profile at all?

The flaked wheat here is used for some (raw) wheat flavor and head retention. You could leave it out and replace with more 2-row malt. Do you have some Carapils or Carafoam, they'll add head retention.

I do not have carapils or carafoam. Only flaked barley. Lots of c40 c60 and c120 but I don't want to change the flavour

You can add the flaked barley or more base malt. Most say flaked barley will increase head retention as well. Im honestly not so sure of that, I think it mostly lightens the flavor as an adjunct. In a pale ale the flaked wheat isnt offering much flavor wise, so i think youd be safe subbing more basemalt or flaked barley.

Latest posts

Back