Fixing collar to keezer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UT-Alex

Reaction score
This is in regards to collars that are fixed to a chest freezer bottom.

So I've been looking at plenty of keezer builds and unfortunately I haven't seen many details on the bottom of the collar being fixed to the chest freezer. Do people use silicone caulk to glue the wood collar to the freezer and then weatherstrip the edges?

My only concern for this would be if the compressor went out then I wouldn't be able to simply remove the lid+collar from the chest freezer and place it on a new chest freezer. Have you guys figured out any alternative solutions to this? What have you found that provides the best seal?

Tub surround adhesive like Loctite power grab or Liquid Nails Tub surround and shower adhesive. Its the best for plastic to wood.

I attached my freezer to the lid, not to the base. I don't think I made a build thread, but there are others on here.

Basically you just glue the collar to the lid and then relocate the original lid mounting brackets to the collar. It works great. Much easier to move kegs in/out also, since you don't have taps in the way.

I guess my main concern is using something like liquid nails would probably prevent me from ever removing the collar from the freezer in the future. Silicone is enough for a good seal and prevents movement of the collar? That's what I'm reading now anyway, I wouldn't have thought that. Thanks for the tips!

Clear silicone caulk is perfect! Easy to cut off of you need to relocate it, just push a non woven guitar string through the joint and it cuts like butter if there is a good layer. Don't skimp!

Back