First Unsupervised Venture, Need Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbys4evr

Reaction score
Here is the scenario
I have a Brewers Best kit - Belgian Caramel Wit which I realize is a spring beer but I wanted to turn it into something special.
I have fresh pumpkin
I have appropriate spices
I have plenty of fresh picked Fuji apples

Do you think I can do anything with that or should I just do the standard recipe.

Also I have no Star San but I restaurant buddy of mine gave me some tablets of no rinse sanitizer, active ingredient "quatermary". Is that okay to use?

Thanks in advance guys I really appreciate it

To answer question 1, just do the standard recipe.
With respect to question 2, use a sanitizer intended for brewing - quaternary ammonia sanitizers are intended for different applications.

If you wanna change the beer then I would add some spices like cinnamon nutmeg and allspice for a "pumpkin" beer without the pumpkin. Skip the actual pumpkin or the apples. But that just my opinion.

That was actually one of my thoughts - just add the appropriate spices instead. In what quantity though?

I bought Blue Moon pumkin ale. No pumpkin just the spices. My wife said she might drink it. I'll bet it will still be in the brew room five years from now. Try some commercial pumkin ales first. Then decide.

No such thing as a spring beer or a winter beer. Well, maybe for some, but I drink whatever and whenever I like.

joemc33 I feel sort of the same, in particular about the Belgian Witbier I made. Best brew I ever had and I would drink it any day. The only reason I got this one is because my LBS didn't have it in stock.

So I guess I will just do the recipe as is and leave the experimentation for when I have more experience under my belt

Back