First time - split the kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiredboy

Reaction score
OK so I seem to be thinking of new questions each time I hit post on another!

I'm waiting for my starter kit and first recipe kit to arrive. I don't live in the USA so needed to get my stuff sent via an international shipper which adds cost and time when I need to order more so my question is, am I better jumping in with both feet and brewing all in one go or splitting my kit (assuming its possible) and only brewing half now, then brew the second half when I bottle the first in case something goes wrong with my first try (or is it pretty hard to mess things up)?

If you follow the directions that AHS provides, it's hard to screw up (not impossible, but difficult). I would brew it all at once then order some of their $20 kits. It's an inexpensive way to try different styles of beer and build your "pipeline." The most important thing about homebrewing? Cleanliness and sanitation. (okay, that's two things...). The most difficult part? Patience. HBT has a wealth of information, both through searches and dialogues with other members. Cheers, Pete

I would not split the batch. Read over the directions carefully, plan your brewday ahead of time, even go over it a few times for practice and then go for it. Make sure everything is sanitized and follow the directions. These things really can be difficult to screw up.

Edit: welcome to the craft.

I'm assuming it's an extract kit? If so, everything will be setup for you and will be difficult to mess up. In fact, I would imagine splitting it would be risky as the LME (assuming that's what's used) could be settled out and you'd get the wrong fermentables in your 2 brews.

I don't know about that kit but a lot of them come with specialty grains all mixed in one bag. There would be no way to know it they are mixed evenly although stirring them around should mix them well. If it has liquid malt extract it would be very messy to try to split it into 2 parts. The stuff is very thick.

If you follow the directions it is difficult to mess them up.

I agree with the suggestion of ordering more ingredient kits asap. Get a couple going so that you have a choice when you want a beer.

AHS kits (usually) come in four basic forms; all extract, mini-mash liquid or dry, and A/G. I think you're asking for trouble trying to split the ingredients, given Jamaica's great warm climate (says the guy heading into fall weather...):D

+1
Do not split the kit. They are that way for a reason and you want your first couple to be a success.:D

Back