First time lager questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Labradork

Reaction score
Folks,

I recently attempted my first lager brews, a Shiner Bock Clone using Munich Lager Wyeast 2308, (http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/shiner-bock-clone-nacb) and a doppelbock using Bavarian lager yeast, both in smackpacks, with the doppelbock getting two of them. Both recipes were partial mash. I chilled the worts down and pitched the Shiner clone at about 70degrees, on the advice of my lhbs owner, then set it outside to chill under my deck, where I can maintain it at about 44-48 degrees. The doppelbock recipe called for the yeast to be pitched at 45 degrees, but after a couple hours I only got it down to about 63 degrees and frankly, it had been a long day and I wanted to wrap things up. I pitched two smackpacks of Bohemian lager into it, and again, set it outside to cool further. The carboys are in a cool dark place with no sign of any activity in the airlocks and are about 45 degrees right now.
So, my questions:

1) I'm used to doing ales and seeing fermentation pretty quickly. When can I expect to see any activity out of these lagers?

2) Should I have brought the carboys inside to kickstart fermentation, then put them out in the cold after primary fermentation is complete? Should I do that now?

3)The doppelbock recipe called for the OG to be about 1.088. Mine measured out at a wimpy 1.07. The wort was well mixed, so I'm sure the sample wasn't misrepresentative of the batch. I think I copied the recipe down wrong before I handed it to my lhbs owner and left out one of the malts. Can or should I do something after the fact to bring the gravity up, such as add more malt extract? About how much would I add for a 5 gallon batch?

4) Any general advice, observations or expectations I should have for these batches?

Thanks in advance.

I've never done a lager, so I can't tell you what to expect. I do know from reading that you want to pitch your yeast pretty close to the temperature it's going to ferment at.

There is a way to up your OG. You have to create a sugar solution- using wort or sugar- that is dense enough to add enough sugar to the batch. To do that without adding too much volume, you'd have to make 2 qts of wort at 1.18 OG to add just .018 (I think I did the math correctly- I'm not a math guy). Plus, the process risks introducing contaminants. I'd just leave it to ferment and try to hit your target next time.

A lager fermentation is not as active as an ale. So let it ride outside until the FG is reached. If you cannot cool the wort down to pitching temp, I have set my full fermenter in the fridge until it cooled down to the lager range, then pitch the yeast.

No reason to worry though, once the finished beer is bottled or legged, cool it down to 34 degrees for 7 to 9 weeks, they will be good clean lagers to be proud of.

Folks,

1) I'm used to doing ales and seeing fermentation pretty quickly. When can I expect to see any activity out of these lagers?

2) Should I have brought the carboys inside to kickstart fermentation, then put them out in the cold after primary fermentation is complete? Should I do that now?

3)The doppelbock recipe called for the OG to be about 1.088. Mine measured out at a wimpy 1.07. The wort was well mixed, so I'm sure the sample wasn't misrepresentative of the batch. I think I copied the recipe down wrong before I handed it to my lhbs owner and left out one of the malts. Can or should I do something after the fact to bring the gravity up, such as add more malt extract? About how much would I add for a 5 gallon batch?

4) Any general advice, observations or expectations I should have for these batches?

Thanks in advance.

1. Without a starter, you could have a 2-3 day lag time at 45F. Once they do get going, they usually aren't as vigorous as an ale.

2. I would let them start cool, the fermentation will warm them a little, I try to pitch mine around 46-48 and let them ramp up to about 50F

3. I wouldn't worry to much about the low OG at this point, it will be a little weaker and a little hoppier.

4. I would let it go 5-7 days, check you gravity and have a taste. If you taste any Dicacetyl at that point, move it somewhere warmer to finish out and help get rid of the Dicacetyl.

Back