First time brew- Did I screw everything up? Or am i just overthinking it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sclary18

Reaction score
I received a brew kit (with 2 glass carboys) as a gift. I also received an ingredient kit (coops Weiss beer). I did ALOT of research prior to starting my brew which most of which lead me to this website. I picked up a 30 quart stock pot (after reading on this forum that that size would be a good choice.)

I am now a week into fermentation and I'm starting to worry. My specific gravity reading is a bit high. Let me explain my process.

I first sanitized all equipment with a one step sanitizer that was included in my kit. I washed the brand new stock pot and stirring spoon with soap and water but I forgot to sterilize those 2 items after cleaning.

My recipe called for 2 gallons of water (I used tap water)

As I brought the water up to a boil I let the grains soak in the water.

Just before boiling, my recipe called for me to remove the grain.

Then I brought the water to a boil and slowly poured in the 6.6 lbs. Of malt extract while stirring vigorously to ensure that the malt does not burn.

I let the wort boil for 1 hour, I added bittering hops with the malt. At 45 minute of boiling I added flavoring hops.

After an hour I cooled the wort in an ice bath in the sink.

I filled the carboy with the wort (my funnel also has a built in strainer and topped off the carboy with cold tap water to the 5 gallon mark.

I then removed a sample of the wort using "the theif" here's where **** gets weird.. My starting specific gravity reading was extremely high: 1.119. I did more research and found out that I was supposed to "swirl" the wort around a little. I had already rehydrated the yeast (yeast mixture sat out for about 8-10 minutes before adding)

After adding the yeast I gently swirled around the wort to let it mix.

I moved the wort to my basement to maintain a temperature of around 63-65. (The recipe said to keep between 65-70.)

After 16 hours the airlock started to bubble every 1-2 seconds. After 3 days the airlock was barely bubbling.

After 4 days I didn't see any bubbles coming out of the airlock so I sanitized my thief and checked the specific gravity. I read 1.024 (recipe calls for 1.010-1.015.)

I check the wort again on the 5th day and got a reading of 1.023 but I still dont see any activity from the airlock.

My recipe says to add sugar, and bottle the beer when the specific gravity stays the same 2 days in a row. I didn't check my beer last night because I worked late so I dont know what the specific gravity is. I have a secondary glass carboy. Should I ferment my beer further in there even though my recipe does not say to do so? Is my beer ruined or am I just getting antsy and paranoid?

I am a little confused on what to do. I want to continue to follow the recipe but I'm not sure what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

***I also attached pictures of my set up and recipe!

ForumRunner_20131208_103248.jpg

ForumRunner_20131208_103318.jpg

ForumRunner_20131208_103336.jpg

ForumRunner_20131208_103357.jpg

I recommend you let it continue to ferment for another couple weeks. I also recommend you check the calibration of your hydrometer. Check to see what it reads in distilled water at ~ 60F. I have a couple and they measure .004 different.
I think all is fine, just let it sit awhile longer.

A couple more weeks?!? My recipe only said to ferment for 3-10 days? To a switch it to the secondary fermentor? Or do I just leave it?

Leave it alone, you should wait two weeks (from start) before checking to see if it is done. Then if it's not done let it sit another week.
As long as you leave the carboy sealed up everything will be fine.
I wouldn't us the secondary for that recipe (personally)

The sugar you add is for bottling, it goes into the beer right before you bottle it.

It will turn out OK, everyone is nervous the first time :D

It looks like you're fine. The minimum I ferment in primary is two weeks. I prefer to let it sit in primary three weeks. I do not use a secondary without a reason. I only use a secondary if I am aging a beer for an extended period and I want to get the beer off of the yeast cake. The yeast is doing more than just make alcohol when you let it sit for two to three weeks. It also breaks down compounds that can be perceived as off flavors. I brewed a bitter a week ago Saturday. Starting gravity was 1.060. I checked yesterday and it was 1.022--about what I would expect. I will let it go another week as I am trying to have it ready for Christmas. Taste your gravity sample. The beer will be green and will not taste like the final product but will give you an idea of what the future will bring.

A couple more weeks?!? My recipe only said to ferment for 3-10 days? To a switch it to the secondary fermentor? Or do I just leave it?

Yeast don't care what the recipe calls for they will finish when they are good and ready and no amount of printed words will change that. That is why you should always check that the FG is stable after about 10-14 days. Also there is no reason to move it to a secondary just leave it in the primary. Racking over to a secondary is just inviting problems to happen for no benefit (unless you are planning to bulk age the beer for 3 months or more).

It'll def take 2-3 weeks for it to finish fermenting & clean up by products of fermentation & settle out clear or slightly misty. Instruction's time tables are notoriously short. You'll get better info on here.

Wow. I'm glad I decided to post on here! Thanks for all the help! I will let it sit and check it on friday!

Some thoughts for your next brew:
- It’s not necessary to sanitize the brew kettle and spoon – boiling will take care of that.
- If you’re using chlorinated water, try using ¼ - ½ of a campden tablet to prevent off flavors.
- For the steeping grains, don’t exceed 170 degrees. And using less water is normally recommended – about 3 qts per pound of grain.

Good luck.

Recipe instructions vary from fairly decent to pretty bloody stupid. Sounds like yours are closer to the latter.

Your beginning temps were good. Now that it's been slowing down, go ahead and warm it up to about 68-70*F and leave it completely alone for another 10 days before you take another reading. Next batch, take the first gravity reading at the two week period. Until then leave it alone except for adjusting temperature as needed.

Leave it in the primary. No secondary is needed for this beer and will just increase your risk of oxidation.

You guys have been extremely helpful! I think I picked the right forum for brewing!

You def found the right place. Searches on the net always point here first. Plus we have a lot of helpfull wiseacres around here. Good for brewing tips & partyin with. We even have forums for bbq/smoking,cheese,wine,cooking & pairing...we got it all under one roof! :ban::cross:

One thing to keep in mind is most yeast tend to ferment slower with lower temperatures. So in general if you ferment the same wort one at the high side of the recommended temperature range and one at the bottom end usually the high end will finish fermenting first. This isn't necessarily a good thing. And don't worry about leaving your brew in primary. Let the yeast clean it up a bit. For extended conditioning of over 6 weeks or more you can transfer it to secondary. I tend to transfer to secondary after a month if I am doing and Imperial Stout or something I want to age a bit. The more you brew the easier it gets.

One thing to keep in mind is most yeast tend to ferment slower with lower temperatures. So in general if you ferment the same wort one at the high side of the recommended temperature range and one at the bottom end usually the high end will finish fermenting first. This isn't necessarily a good thing. And don't worry about leaving your brew in primary. Let the yeast clean it up a bit. For extended conditioning of over 6 weeks or more you can transfer it to secondary. I tend to transfer to secondary after a month if I am doing and Imperial Stout or something I want to age a bit. The more you brew the easier it gets.

I put the wort in my basement and that was the temp at the time. I have a vent there so I opened the vent which raised the basement to 67

I put the wort in my basement and that was the temp at the time. I have a vent there so I opened the vent which raised the basement to 67

That's all good, but remember that fermentation creates heat. Most ales like to be at 67º(F) or below. So if the temp in your basement drops to 63 or 64 during peak activity, you're still gonna be just fine.

Patience is one of the big keys to good beer. I always leave my beers in primary for a minimum of two weeks (usually closer to three). Relax, have fun, and don't let homebrewing become a stressor. Best wishes.

It has been 6 days since I took my last measurement. My specific gravity is at 1.021. Thats a .002 change. Do you think I'm still in good shape? Can I bottle even tho my recipe says I should be between 1.010-1.016?

It has been 6 days since I took my last measurement. My specific gravity is at 1.021. Thats a .002 change. Do you think I'm still in good shape? Can I bottle even tho my recipe says I should be between 1.010-1.016?

Gravity should be stable before you bottle. Yours is still dropping.

Latest posts

Back