First Time bourbon-brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boris4Life

Reaction score
I'm gathering information about adding extra flavour to beer through the use of bourbon and bourbon + oak cubes/chips.

I get 39-40 liters (10.4 USgallons) per brew and I use 2 separate fermentation "buckets" of 5-ish gallons each. My inital plan is to add Wild Turkey 101 proof 35cl (11,8 fluid US ounces) to one of the 5 gallon fermenters, and another 35cl which have aged with french oak cubes for 1 week to the other 5 gallon fermenter. I thought I'd add them to Secondary fermentation when there is 2 weeks left before Keg/bottling.

The beer named "Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale" is the only one i've tasted which has been bourbon aged, and I loved it. I want to get the vanilla and sweetness that you taste when drinking bourbon - nothing against but not particulary fond of lots of oak taste in beer.

The question I have for all you hardcore and well experienced brewers out there is if I am going in the right direction or if this is the wrong way to go about it.

/Boris

Boris, another option is to add bourbon at bottling or kegging, being careful not to add too much (add a little, taste, add a little more, taste).

I think vanilla goes really well with bourbon beers - you could throw a few vanilla beans into secondary and then add bourbon to taste when you're ready to bottle/keg.

Back