Bourbon advice for Oak Cube soaking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doesn't every bourbon already come with a nice bit of oaky flavor? Why not skip the middle-man (and oak chips), and add your bourbon straight to the bottling bucket? I went with 2 oz Elijah Craig 47% abv per gallon of beer (a nice chocolatey 9.8% stout), a pack of CBC-1 yeast, and it turned out fantastic!*

*after the hops burn mellowed out, around 5 months post bottling.

That's not a wood aged beer then. If all you want is bourbon flavor then go for it, but toasted oak cubes add a dimension too - and you'll need a lot more exposure than just the bottling bucket. I use about the same time one would use to dry hop - 5-7 days.

The bourbon also helps sanitize the wood and draws out tannins. I normally go 1 bottle of Makers Mark with 3-4 ounces of oak cubes. Soak for a week, then dump it all in with the beer and let sit another 7-10 days.

The bourbon also helps sanitize the wood and draws out tannins. I normally go 1 bottle of Makers Mark with 3-4 ounces of oak cubes. Soak for a week, then dump it all in with the beer and let sit another 7-10 days.
How large a batch and what size bottle? For a 5 gallon batch I use about 8 oz (250 g) wood soaked in about 8 oz (250 ml) of bourbon.

How large a batch and what size bottle? For a 5 gallon batch I use about 8 oz (250 g) wood soaked in about 8 oz (250 ml) of bourbon.
5 gallon batch of imperial stout or a BarleyWine. 750ml bottle of bourbon. I’m patient though, I can let it sit for 6 -9 months to mellow but it’s good.

Back