First NEIPA - Hops schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fardy

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Living in Canada, hops are pretty expensive. I was able to get good prices of bulk Citra and Amarillo.
I'd like to create a juicy NEIPA recipe out of it but would also like my stock to last me for a couple of brew sessions.

Based on a recipe I found online, I ajusted my hops schedule this way so I could eventually brew at least 3 batches with my bulk hops.

0.55 oz Centennial @ 60 mins

1.50 oz Citra @ Whirlpool (30 mins)
1.50 oz Amarillo @ Whirlpool (30 mins)

1.75 oz Citra @ Dry Hop 7 days
1.75 oz Amarillo @ Dry Hop 7 days
1.75 oz Citra @ Dry Hop 3 days
1.75 oz Amarillo @ Dry Hop 3 days

Would this hop ratio / schedule be enough to create a nice juicy NEIPA or do I need to stop being cheap and increase hops amount ?
If so, at what point exactly would you do adjustments ?

Thanks !

In my opinion, the total amount seems good, but seems too biased to dry hops. I would shuffle maybe half of the dry hops into whirlpooling.

Another personal opinion, but I'm not sure what you're getting from the exact same dry hop dosage, but at different times. Maybe if you had some concept that you didn't like one sitting as long, and you wanted to do your Citra at 7 days and Amarillo at 3. But I would keep it simple and pick one. That being said, I've read some interviews with different Brewers that they separate disagree if different hops to get better taste complexity. So if I'm dry hopping with more than one type, I typically put 12-24 hours between each type.

Thanks for the quick reply.
As I said, this was taken from an existing recipe that used 3 and 7 days dry hopping. I usually only do a single dry hopping addition 3 days before kegging my regular IPAs.

So based on your comments, the hop schedule should look like this ?

0.55 oz Centennial @ 60 mins

2.5 oz Citra @ Whirlpool (30 mins)
2.5 oz Amarillo @ Whirlpool (30 mins)

2.5 oz Citra @ Dry Hop 3 days
2.5 oz Amarillo @ Dry Hop 3 days

Seems like that would be plenty hoppy and flavorful. The little bit of Centennial at 60 by the way, I think is great. Although you can make a good smooth hoppy beer with no bittering addition, and all whirlpool, I personally find the hoppiness to taste like it's lacking that little bite when you skip it.

I agree with you. That was my personal touch.

I like my NEIPAs to have a nice balance between juicy hops and bitterness.

Thanks for the advice. I'll proceed with this recipe shortly.

Back