First Mexican Lager, need some clarification

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So this is brewed and in the keg for its lagering phase. I have it lagering under 1psi. Can i bump up psi to serving pressure and still let it lager for a week or two or does it need to lager uncarbed?

I usually just lager under serving pressure, but maybe someone else knows better. I'm about to do an Oktoberfest and I plan to cold crash under serving pressure to avoid O2 ingress. I don't see how it could be detrimental unless you over carb!?

I usually just lager under serving pressure, but maybe someone else knows better. I'm about to do an Oktoberfest and I plan to cold crash under serving pressure to avoid O2 ingress. I don't see how it could be detrimental unless you over carb!?
Awesome! Thanks man. I'l bump this thing up on psi then

Just wanted to give an update here on this beer. For people who stumble upon this thread and want to see a topic through to the end...

The beer came out OK. No detectable off flavors, very clean and crisp. However, not what I was going for. It came out VERY light in color. I definitely need to darken it up a bit. Color is at 2.84 SRM based on Brewers Friend and I think I want it closer to a 4-4.5.

I also would like it more...mexican lager like. Not sure what it's missing. I don't know if I should use more corn or if bringing it to the darker color will make me like it more. I believe it's missing both body and the flavor from the corn.

Additionally, I want to brew it again with WLP940 instead of saflager 189. Having to switch to saflager 189 at the last minute, it lowered the FG by 5 points more than what I planned on (finished at 1.006).

The wakatu hops are great on a side note!! Very subtle lime zest flavor and I didn't use much. I only used 2oz through the whole thing. Definitely will use those again, might even increase to 2.5 or 3oz.

Here are a couple of pics of the finished product...
MexLager1.jpg
MexLager1.jpg
MexLager2.jpg

Looks great. My understanding of Mexican lagers is that they're just vienna lagers that use a unique type of yeast (and a touch of corn). So adding some vienna should get you the color and flavor you're looking for.

Mexican lagers is that they're just vienna lagers that use a unique type of yeast (and a touch of corn).

This^^^^^

You definitely need Vienna in there, usually more than pilsner. It sure did drop clean and clear tho...

I am not home, but I made a Mexican lager a few months back with wakatu. Was exceptional. I can post the recipe if you'd like. In a few days that is

2 row, 6 row, corn, Mexican lager yeast, maybe vienna, dont recall

I am not home, but I made a Mexican lager a few months back with wakatu. Was exceptional. I can post the recipe if you'd like. In a few days that is

2 row, 6 row, corn, Mexican lager yeast, maybe vienna, dont recall
Id be curious to know more about your recipe just to compare. Pics if you have them too. The wakatu hops are very nice for this style i must agree.

......It should at least be beer though.

Since the OP wasn't able to get the right yeast for the recipe, it could end up being just a practice lager run. I really think the Mexican lager yeast would make a difference for this beer. I recommend drinking whatever it ends up being, then trying again with the Mexican lager yeast AND a huge starter.

^^^This

and

Definitely try to get the 940, I really think it makes a difference and adds a certain amount of Mexican beer character.

This will get you a very good Negra Modelo type beer (if done right), if you decide to go with something a little darker. The corn and yeast make this beer.

Grain-

10 lb - Vienna Malt 78.8%
7.5 ozAmerican - Caramel / Crystal 60L 3.7%
3.5 ozAmerican - Chocolate 1.7%
2 lbFlaked Corn 15.8%

12.69 lbTotal

Hops-

0.5 oz Magnum 13aa 60 min
1 ozSaaz 3.5aa 10 min

Yeast-

WLP-940

Last edited:
Maybe for a lighter version?

5 lb Pilsner
5 lb Vienna
2 lb Flaked corn
0.25 lb Carapils
0.25 - 0.5 lb Crystal 10 or 20

Same hops and yeast as above. And to make it even lighter adjust the pilsner to Vienna ratio so it's heavier on pilsner.

I have not tested this recipe, but I have brewed the other one a couple times. It's good.

I also would like it more...mexican lager like. Not sure what it's missing. I don't know if I should use more corn or if bringing it to the darker color will make me like it more. I believe it's missing both body and the flavor from the corn.

Corn thins the body, it doesn't add to it. Vienna malt will add some of the backbone for which you are looking. If you want a little more color you substitute Munich 10L for some or all the Vienna.

This is awesome info! Thanks everyone. The beer isn't bad by any means, its simple and tasty. Just not what I was planning. Just want to be able to develop a recipe and nail it, so still learning.

I will definitely try out the vienna and munich malts on this one next time.

Corn thins the body, it doesn't add to it. Vienna malt will add some of the backbone for which you are looking. If you want a little more color you substitute Munich 10L for some or all the Vienna.
The corn won't add body, but it does add flavor and a slight corn sweetness.

I got home early and here is what I made. Its a classic corona/pacifico/sol/landshark/modelo beer

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
4 lbs 8.0 oz Pilsner (2 Row) UK (1.0 SRM) Grain 1 40.9 %
3 lbs 8.0 oz Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 2 31.8 %
3 lbs Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 27.3 %
1.00 oz Wakatu (Hallertau Aroma) [7.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 26.7 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 5 -
0.50 oz Wakatu (Hallertau Aroma) [7.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 4.8 IBUs
2.0 pkg Mexican Lager (White Labs #WLP940) [35.49 ml] Yeast 7 -
0.50 tsp Gelatin (Secondary 5.0 hours) Fining 8 -

Single infusion. Lagered for 6 or 8 weeks. I only used 1 package of 940 but made a 1 gallon starter

Looking to do my first Mexican Lager this weekend. There are some things I am unsure of.

1. The lagering phase - how long does this need to be? I have it going for 4 - 6 weeks in my recipe sheet. Is that necessary?

2. I also have it scheduled to transfer to a secondary container. Is this necessary?

3. Can the lagering just be done in the serving keg for the required amount of time and once the lagering phase is complete, tap the keg...?

I have attached my brew day sheet with the recipe. Any other critiques are welcome. I have corn sugar in there but not sure if I should pull that and just add more grain....?

Thanks.
save some time. this method works extremely well http://brulosophy.com/methods/lager-method/

Back