First mead flavoring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reapernazara

Reaction score
My first mead I want to make cinnamon vanilla. It is currently in primary. My question is should I put in the cinnamon stick and vanilla bean now or once I rack it into secondary? And either way how long should I leave them in? I definitely don't want too much cinnamon flavor just a mild to moderate amount. The vanilla I don't think could be overwhelming but please correct me I'f I'm wrong.

My first mead I want to make cinnamon vanilla. It is currently in primary. My question is should I put in the cinnamon stick and vanilla bean now or once I rack it into secondary? And either way how long should I leave them in? I definitely don't want too much cinnamon flavor just a mild to moderate amount. The vanilla I don't think could be overwhelming but please correct me I'f I'm wrong.
I put cinnamon sticks in primary and maybe add more in secondary if "needed".....have never used vanilla, so can't comment on that. I have 5 gallons of cyser made with 4, perhaps 5 cinnamon sticks in the primary, cinnamon flavor is present but not overbearing, even mild....but, take with a grain of salt... I LOVE cinnamon ;)

I'd put them in secondary. This will give you more bang for your buck. I'd split & scrape the vanilla bean, adding it all to the must. I'd go with 2 or 3 four inch cinnamon sticks (for 5 or 6 gallons). Contain it all in a hop sack for easy removal. You'll need to keep tasting it every so often to see if it's reached the flavour profile you want.
Regards, GF.

For the vanilla, I generally add 1 bean per gallon. I don't bother slitting or scraping because
1. It's hard to get those tiny seeds out
2. It slows the rate of flavor diffusion so that you have tighter control.
I know it's hard to believe, but too much vanilla IS a bad thing.

Better brewing through science!

Latest posts

Back