About to start my mead making journey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScruffyBeard

Reaction score
So I'm about to start my first mead. I'll be using clover and linden honey with 1118 yeast.

I have a few questions. What would you recommend the split be for the honey, should I do 50/50, 70/30 etc

Also I want to add vanilla and rosemary to the mead, is it best to do that at the start, or add to the primary after a few weeks or add to the secondary?

I am looking to have a grassy note in the mead which is why I chose those two honey types.

Any other advice you have I'd happily welcome.

I haven't used it, but I'm assuming the linden honey will be what you are expecting to give that grassy note. If so I would lean into that varietal. Maybe 70%? depends on what you want out of the Clover honey.

I'd split the vanilla bean(s) lengthwise and add in secondary.

I haven't used it, but I'm assuming the linden honey will be what you are expecting to give that grassy note. If so I would lean into that varietal. Maybe 70%? depends on what you want out of the Clover honey.

I'd split the vanilla bean(s) lengthwise and add in secondary.
Should I add the rosemary to the secondary as well?

From what I've read I'm not supposed to use a lot as it's quite potent?

For your first mead, I would recommend a traditional mead with just honey and leave out the rosemary and vanilla.

Just my 2 cents

Should I add the rosemary to the secondary as well?
I'd recommend making a tincture with the rosemary. Put it in a jar, cover it with vodka or Everclear and seal it then shake it well a couple of times a day for a week or two. Strain it then add a little of the liquid at a time either in secondary or bottling bucket, tasting as you go until you get it where you want it. That's how I usually do herbs or spices and it works for me. Good luck!

So bit of an update. Looks like just after 2 weeks the yeast is done. Just checked the gravity and it's just under 1. Should I leave it for another week or two before racking or rack it now?

Up to you. Feel free to rack now or let it sit and clear where it is. Either way, time will improve flavor whether that time is in the primary vessel, a secondary, or the bottle. Time in bulk, whether primary or secondary, will reduce sediment in the bottle.

My preference is always to rack just before active fermentation ceases. The CO2 that the yeast is pumping out will help protect your mead (or wine ) from oxidation. If you rack after the yeast have quit and your siphoning protocol is weak (your siphon is high in the target carboy , for example) then you can introduce a great deal of unnecessary oxygen. Better to rack when the gravity is around 1.010- 1.005. You will take enough yeast with you into the secondary to finish the job.

Back