Teofil Ciesielski's Miodosytnictwo; all the ingredients in one recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MonkeyButt

Reaction score
https://wmbc.olsztyn.pl/Content/2517/54019_art.pdfAssuming the most common Trojniak, I went through all the meads and listed the ingredients as though they were one recipe.
Would this be some sort of horrible crash of flavor?

100 Liter Trojniak (33% honey water)
500g black currants
300g celeriac leaves
150g juniper berries
100g raspberry
100g elderflower
50g rose petals
50g hops
25g cinnamon
20g orris root
10g valerian root
10g mace
10g ginger
5g clove
22 peppercorns
3 vanilla beans
3 lemons
2 oranges

Using Red Star Champagne yeast, no nutrients or magic dancing, just racking once a month until ready to bottle.
Got a bucket of honey with 16.4% moisture content from a local farmer, and I'll be winging it without a hydrometer.
The only experience I have is making a delicious JAOM thanks to this website.
Thoughts?

You're really going to jump in with 100 liters of this? For your second mead? With no magic dancing of which you've figured out what choreography works for you? That's a leap of faith I wouldn't take, but all the power to you.

I'm fermenting ~20L right now with no additions, just honey and water. 100 simply makes for easy math.
No magic dancing. Clean water, clean honey, shake shake shake, pitch yeast, let time work.
It is a leap of faith, but anything worth finding out requires ****ing around.

I'm not knocking your ****ing around. Just amazed at the jumping into such a large batch. Lots of expensive honey. Lots of expensive flavorings. Not one successful completed mead under your belt. A completely experimental recipe with a constellation of competing flavors. 20/5 is just as easy as 20*5.

Again, you do you. You asked for thoughts.

Last edited:
It's all good, that's why we're here isn't it? The flavorings were indeed expensive. My current state of thinking is to make the bulk mead with no additions, just honey and water, and then add the proportion of flavorings to individual gallon jugs (4 or 5). Original post was more about sharing something from the 1800s in a language I can translate. This whole list can be broken out into 5 ish individual recipes, maybe I should post them as such.
While I'm on it I'll share a cool legend; In the ancient capital of the Mongol empire, there was a silver fountain that dispensed booze from the four corners of their world: Mongol fermented milk, Chinese rice beer, Persian grape wine, and Polish-Lithuanian mead.

My current state of thinking is to make the bulk mead with no additions, just honey and water, and then add the proportion of flavorings to individual gallon jugs (4 or 5).

Now we're talking!

Original post was more about sharing something from the 1800s in a language I can translate.

There are quite a few of us, myself included, who are very interested in history. At least one us can probably read the document in its original language.

Reading the flavoring list I choked on Valerian root. I have used it as a sleep aid to fight off jet lag. It tastes awful to me.

But upon future consideration, hops taste pretty bad on their own too.

Why would you not use them?
The intention is to do it "by the book" as those recipes were written. He explains how to use a fresh egg for gravity reading, which I thought that was pretty clever. Also to elaborate on the technique; he suggests simmering the ingredients with the honey-water for 30 minutes while skimming off the foam before squeezing out the juice and discarding the rest, as it's the tidiest way to incorporate the flavors. I know nutrients are easy, it is a conscious choice.
Valerian root.
Yeah that's the weird one. Can be replaced with stinky socks or a dead mouse. Most of the recipes are flexible/optional on hops. He specifically mentions never going over 200g per 100L. I'll eventually try to find some Nowotomyski hop rhizomes to grow for fun, but there's enough on my plate as it is.

Nutrients aren't necessarily easy. If they were, we wouldn't have the variety of nutrient blends and protocols we do. Understanding is required to get ideal results. Ie., regular, predictable, clean-flavored mead that doesn't take a year or more to be drinkable*. Simmering honey to better extract flavor from the other ingredients diminishes the flavor of the honey.

You do you, of course.

* I understand you might have had in your experience a successful J[AO]M in less time. In interview, Joe himself describes his recipe as everything wrong which takes a very long time to fix.

Last edited:
all measures for 100 Liter

Castellan (66% honey)
300g celery root
100g hops
3 vanilla beans
10 years aging, or only 5 if you leave it in a half empty barrel with an open top covered with a cloth (!)

Capuchin (50% honey)
100g hops
10g ginger

Bernardine
(33% honey)
50g hops
50g rose petals
20g orris root

Lithuanian (33% honey)
150g juniper
100g elderflower

Polski (33% honey)
500g blackcurrant
100g hops (or none)
10g valerian root

Panienski (33% honey)
100g raspberry

Korzenny (33% honey)
100g (0-200) hops
10g mace
10g ginger
10g cinnamon
5g clove
some peppercorns

Camp (25% honey)
100g hops
75g juniper
25g cinnamon
10g valerian root

Thanks for the link to the PDF. Mam za dużo miodu od moich pszczół :)

Back