First Kegged Beer a Little Too Heady

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you try purging it a couple of times when you dialed it down to 10 PSI? I usually do 30 PSI for 36 hours, purge, reset to serving and then leave it for another 24 hours or so. After that it's usually good.

That's exactly what I did. Maybe I should purge it again?

Really, that head looks pretty good. I have found that I need to play with my CO2 pressure, I run at 7 to 8 psi. I will also get a keg that is a little over carbed, I will purge the keg a few times until it calms down. Good Luck.

Had a similar problem. Worse with the Otter Creek Stovepipe clone brew.... So I set my porter (first time kegging) to something more like 3psi and all was good.

I turned it down to about 8 and it was a big difference. Actually too low. I'll be testing it again tonight.

Would have done it sooner but I had a hangover on Sunday. First one in probably 11 years! Went out for some good music and they happen to have some good beer on tap!

I did the same thing not long ago. I detached the gas line from keg and forgot to purge the keg to LESS than 12psi and dial back up. Keg was overcarbed over night. had to keep purging (which sucks letting all that hop aroma out) a bunch of times and left it at 3-4psi until it settled down. I now always purge the keg to less than desired pressure and dial UP to correct PSI every time I disconnect or dial back pressure.

Latest posts

Back