First Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NOLA26

Reaction score
I recently bought a kegerator off Ebay. It is a new unit and came with everything needed to get started. To start I got the 2.5Lb CO2 tank filled and got a 1/4 barrel of Bud Light. I put the keg in the cooler and turned on the CO2 to 12psi. After a day in the kegerator, the beer is all foam when poured. From my reading, I assume the beer line is too short, so I ordered a 10' beer line. Also the beer is somewhat flat which I assume is due to all the CO2 being released as foam, is this correct? Until the new line comes in, is there anything I can do to make sure this is the problem? Or temporarily reduce the problem so I can have a decent beer?

This may be a stupid question, but if I buy commercial kegs of Bud Light or Blue Moon, is there a procedure that needs to be followed other than to hook up CO2 to right pressure and pour?

You are correct with the longer line and it being flat because of the the foam. One thing you can do is turn down your pressure a little bit and if you have a tower you'll want to have a small computer fan blowing the cold fridge air up in the tower to keep the taps cold. Otherwise when the cold beer hits the warmer taps the co2 will come out of solution and be all foam.

Back