First home brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashmain

Reaction score
Hi, a friend a I have started our first brew of woodfordes Admirals, its fermenting well, and the next stage is to transfer it to the pressure vessel when its ready. Any advice on transferring it and secondary fermentation would be great.
Thanks

Many of us don't use secondaries unless oaking,adding fruit,etc. And use an auto siphon to rack the bear from primary into the bottom of the pressure vessel. You don't want splashing,etc to oxygenate the beer. Nothing like a tall,cold glass of wet cardboard.

Some people transfer to another bucket but only for cold crashing once fermentation is complete. I myself just cold crash in my primary vessel.

Thanks for the help, but what do you mean when you say cold crashing? Still a novice and picking up the different terms

Cold crashing is when the fermenter is put in the fridge or other cold place at 40F for a while to get all the yeast to settle,clearing the beer.

Ann ok, if I do secondary ferment with sugar how much water should I boil it in. It's going in a 32 pint brew

Go to tastybrew.com,& use their handy priming calculator. It'll tell you how much of what kind of sugar to use. I dissolve it in 2C of boiled & cooled water to make the priming solution. If by secondary you mean bottles,keg,or pressure barrel,then ok. But you generally don't add sugar to secondary,it's more for adding fruit,oaking,etc off the yeast cake. Also caled a bright tank. And those pressure barrels I understand use half the sugar that the bottling calculators would give you.but your call there. Not many if any use those pressure barrels over here.

Back