First high gravity brew (help)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnr

Up your IBU!
Reaction score
5 gallon brew, 12 lbs LME, after boil off, topped off with cold filtered water to get to 5.5gl.
I added at least double the yeast pitch as usual plus a yeast starter after 12 hours of no action.

Took a gravity reading after 1 week and hydrometer read 1.040. Usually my 7% beers get to 1.012 within a week with the yeast I've been using. Tasted the sample and it didn't seem super sweet. Considering I would normally start a brew with 6lb LME at 1.045. I'm not sure if I should just go on with this or let it sit longer or if it will drop further in the next week or so? Just feels like a stalled fermentation but doesn't taste like it. I compared to a 7% beer I was drinking and it's not much sweeter.

Any ideas or suggestions for what to do next? Like I said. I sprinkled a bit more yeast and shook for a minute to aerate a bit.

Why does it "feel" like a stalled fermentation? Have you taken 2 readings, 3 days apart?

Also, aerating the wort/beer at this point isn't advisable.

A quick QBrew calc says 12 pounds of LME in 5.5 gallons would have an OG of 1.081. It's a bit hard to believe the gravity only dropped by half in two weeks but if the yeast weren't willing I suppose it could happen.

That said, the characterization seems to indicate more fermentation than indicated. Was this hydrometer ever calibrated?

Cheers!

i agree that starting OG and especially type of yeast are important pieces of the puzzle. (Trying to rule out your yeast possibly maxing out). Also, what temperature for fermentation? (Lower temps generally take longer).

With the info you gave us, my best guess is that it is simply not done. Bigger beers usually take longer. Nothing surprising at all about taking two weeks, maybe three. I've had some really big beers that took a month. My advice is do less and check gravity again in a week (or two).

Last edited:
I used a Belgian ale yeast. It came with a kit, don't remember but I know it's been compared to wlp550 when I was ordering. I only aerated to incorporate the yeast and stir sediment by jostling the bucket.

It's only been one week.

I haven't used my hydrometer in a year. And only used my beer calculator which gave me an OG of 1.079. and based on past brews with this LME (no specialty grains or non- fermentables) I adjusted efficiency and probable attenuation.

So if it is just wait longer, I'm happy to do so. I just wasn't sure. Most reading suggests waiting 2-5 weeks for anything over 8% but this is when od usually rack and start a secondary. But it seemed like there's been no action for a few days.

The bucket's thermometer reads 66°F. It's read just under 70° for the majority of the week.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
That's pretty cold for Belgian yeast. I do a stepped fermentation with these yeasts, pitch at 68* raise to 72* after 3-5 days depending on OG. with yours I would step on day 5. After the krausen falls and activity slows bump it to 78*to finish. I give big beers 4 weeks before I check them.

Back