first competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobbyBeer

Reaction score
I've finally entered my first home brewer competition.
It's a Belgian aged on pears and raisins..
Called "the fornicating pear"
It's for philly beer week...
Anything I should know before I send in my bottles?
Does the bottle make any difference?
I have yet to work out a good label.
The brew is my best brew yet and I figured, why not?

Most competitions have rules on bottle size/color/type and allow no labels. So make sure you have an easily removeable label for any bottles you send in!

Use bottles without any embossed designs...so this means ruling out bottles from Sam Adams, Abita, etc.

Did you say you need a label? Most comps you just need plain brown bottles...no markings on the bottle or cap. And then you rubberband an entry label to each bottle and submit your main entry form separately.

bchurch said:
Awesome name! Best of luck, which competition did you enter?

It's the triumph home brewer competition. If you go to Triumph brewery's website it has a few details..
Thanks for the support. I'm excited.

BrewThruYou said:
Use bottles without any embossed designs...so this means ruling out bottles from Sam Adams, Abita, etc.

Did you say you need a label? Most comps you just need plain brown bottles...no markings on the bottle or cap. And then you rubberband an entry label to each bottle and submit your main entry form separately.

This may be a problem.. I got custom made caps and capped all my bottles with them. It's just a cement face with red eyes..
Will I be docked points for this?
I won't put a label on it.
Thanks.

Where exactly on the website? is it the philly one or just triumph in general? Did you see the BUZZ off competion, I entered that one. It's being held at the iron hill in west chester. entry deadline was last week though.

Good luck man.

This may be a problem.. I got custom made caps and capped all my bottles with them. It's just a cement face with red eyes..
Thanks.

You will need to black out the cap with a sharpie to ensure annonimity. It should not affect your score in any way.

Don't know about bottle caps.. I know any bottles with any markings or glued/taped entry labels will not be accepted. labels should be held on with rubberbands. Is this a sanctioned event? or just held by Triumph? you could probably call them.

iskuse said:
Where exactly on the website? is it the philly one or just triumph in general? Did you see the BUZZ off competion, I entered that one. It's being held at the iron hill in west chester. entry deadline was last week though.

Good luck man.

Yes, it's on the philly one..
And no I didn't hear about the buzz one.
Good luck to you as well!

I did call them.
There is no entry fee, and they just ask for you to label with your name and beer type.
With rubberbands.
Top prize is to have your beer brewed by Triumph, then there is some cash prizes and other things as well.
There is more info on their facebook page.

Thanks.

You will need to black them out with a marker.

nvm mind didn't see this was already answered

Wouldnt "blacking them out with a marker" make 'them stand out , aka lose the anonymous factor, just as much having a cap with a face with red eyes on them?

I mean, the whole point is for all of the bottles to appear identical so there each beer is judged with no bias.

I bet they get rejected.

Wouldnt "blacking them out with a marker" make 'them stand out , aka lose the anonymous factor, just as much having a cap with a face with red eyes on them?

I mean, the whole point is for all of the bottles to appear identical so there each beer is judged with no bias.

I bet they get rejected.

They wont get rejected. It's common to have blacked out caps as most homebrewers mark their beers on the cap. Our competition last weekend had about 30-40% blacked out caps.

Where is the competition being held this year? Last year they had it at Jose Pistola's and the space was tight. Great brews by the home brewers.

I'm 50% sure I'm

Called the brewery to ask about bottle caps.
Apparently cap does not matter.
They want your name and beer type on the bottle.
I think they poor glasses for the judges behind closed doors. labels do not matter.. At least for this competition.

I bet they get rejected.

LOL

aren't you just a shot of pure optimism.

The blacked out caps will be fine see above.

Back