First cider tastes like feet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dozuki

Reaction score
Fist please don’t ask how I know how feet taste.
This was my first cider. I used 1 gallon of musselmans fresh pressed cider. Used a had a pack of Lavlin D 47 and had a starting gravity of 1.050.

Day 11 Racked it to another container to get it off the lees. Had a taste and it was very tart.

Day16 added a cup of sugar and bottled and put in the fridge to cool.

Day 18. Went to have a cold cider and it smelled funky and and has a strong finishing taste of feet.

Did I do something wrong? Can it be saved? Did I just rush it.

Yep, you really rushed it. The main problem I have is you added a cup of sugar to 1 gallon of juice without stabilizing it. Even though the bottles may be in the refrigerator, you're still looking at time bombs. As far as age goes, my cider from juice is about ready to drink at 3 or 4 months old, but is still getting better.

Thanks appreciate the information. I thought it would be safe in the fridge. I suppose I could take it out and pasteurize it now. Thanks again.

My experience is quite different, but I agree adding the sugar was probably unnecessary.
My cider ferment takes exactly 14 days. That's it. It comes out crisp, clean - I do think the juice seems to have some impact. I've also done a mix with 1/3 of the juice being pineapple. I have yet to have a messed up cider ferment or feet drinks. Here's my recipe -

Time: 2 weeks - starting brix - 15 ending brix 1.0

Recipe:
  1. Sanitize All equipment
  2. Pour (3) gallons of Apple Juice into fermenter (Costco Apple Juice - tree top or the other one)
  3. 1 tsp of Cider Ferm
  4. Add 5 grams of Premier Cotes Des Blanc Yeast (or just dump the whole packet in)
  5. Ferment for 2 weeks.

Rack into bottles - age for 1 week.
If you want it to be more fizzy - add some tannin - not alot just a little.
If you want to play with added sugar or flavors - I recommend maple syrup and perhaps some other flavoring agent at this racking time and only add a tiny bit. You could also add a little lemon juice or lemon oil for a citris like flavor.
I have also messed around (with the pineapple cider) of adding a quarter habenero per liter. Very flavorful and punchy taste.

I've tried using mint but it has a weak taste so I'm doing something wrong there or need to add ALOT more of it Will test again with that. Check out the head on this the bottled cider with a table spoon of maple syrup and a dash of tannins -

Attachments

• 2023-06-12 21.32.07.jpg
    2023-06-12 21.32.07.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Thanks for the advice and the recipe. I may have to give it a try. I was expecting it to be more drinkable. I may have to give your recipe a try.

Did you add any yeast nutrients? Apple juice alone will not provide what the yeast needs. D47 can make good cider, but it is especially prone to producing off flavors if it does not have enough nutrients.

Apple juice without any added sugar makes a good 5-6% ABV cider.

No I did not add yeast nutrients to this one. I now have nutrients and will be adding it to future batches. Lesson learned.

Fist please don’t ask how I know how feet taste.
This was my first cider. I used 1 gallon of musselmans fresh pressed cider. Used a had a pack of Lavlin D 47 and had a starting gravity of 1.050.

Day 11 Racked it to another container to get it off the lees. Had a taste and it was very tart.

Day16 added a cup of sugar and bottled and put in the fridge to cool.

Day 18. Went to have a cold cider and it smelled funky and and has a strong finishing taste of feet.

Did I do something wrong? Can it be saved? Did I just rush it.
Were you listening to Blue Oyster Cult's song "She's as beautiful as a foot"?

Back