First brew.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smitty8202

Reaction score
I just put 4 gallons of water on the stove for a 5 gallon batch. There is a bit of condensation on the bottom of the pot. Is this normal? Also the instructions say to boil 2 gallons of water put in sanitized container and put in fridge to use to top off the fermenter to 5 gallons well I don't have a 2 gallon container and can I just use the water from my water dispenser or does it have to be boiled

Don't worry about the condensation... your water was probably just cold when you put it in the pot.

I would highly suggest boiling the top-off water and letting it cool before you add it. But, FWIW, I've topped off with straight tap water with no ill effects. Probably wouldn't do it again though, if that helps any.

Not gonna lie kind of freaking out. Gonna boil a gallon of water let it cool then put it in a sanitized gallon jug and put it in the fridge. Should I let it sit out for a little bit before putting it in the fermenter so 35 degree water doesn't cool the wort too much. Also should I let my hops and yeast sit out for a little bit now or wait

I topped of straight from the tap all the time while i was doing extract...never had a problem.

Also, FYI, be sure to cool your yeast to the mid 60s or so before pitchuing. This is one of the most common and most detrimental mistakes I see new brewers making

Are you using a glass carboy or a plastic bucket/carboy as a fermenter? If glass be sure to put a gallon or so of your top off water in first to absorb the shock of the warm wort in the room temp fermenter.

I have the one that came in my kit but don't want to open the package and have it exposed to oxygen if it's not the right temp

Don't worry about the yeast temperature (It's dry?) It is the wort temperature you want to check before the yeast goes in. <80F good. <70F better

You can always put the filled fermenter somewhere to cool before pitching the yeast in. There is no rush needed here. Some people wait to cool it overnight.

But just to clarify, if I understand you correctly. Don't measure the yeast temperature if its dry yeast. If it's liquid yeast it will be at room temp or close to it

Ok update water for up to 160 put grains in. Instructions say to steep them at 155 for 45 mins. So my next question once that is done do I put my DME in immediately after taking the grains out or bring it to a full boil then put the DME in?

get it boiling first. Usually people add 1/3 of their extract at the start and the other 2/3 at 10-15min to flameout to prevent darkening and scorching

Ok update water for up to 160 put grains in. Instructions say to steep them at 155 for 45 mins. So my next question once that is done do I put my DME in immediately after taking the grains out or bring it to a full boil then put the DME in?

After you are finished steeping the grains you can pull the grain bad add the DME and then bring to a boil. I found with DME i would have issues with boil over when adding when the wort is boiling.

Some people even wait until the last 20 min of the boil to add the DME, but that is up to you. I always added it at the beginning.

sorry for the mix up on the temp for the yeast. That should be the wort temp in the 60's to low 70's, low to mid 60's being preferred.

I would have to look back at my notes, but i think we would chill the wort down to 90 F or so and then put a gallon of our top off water in the carboy and then add in the wort and top off with water to hit our final volume. We have pretty cold tap water in AK though.

Usually add extracts before burner goes back on to boil. Otherwise, extract, (LME particularly), if put into boil and not stirred well can scorch.

Also, FYI, be sure to cool your yeast to the mid 60s or so before pitchuing. This is one of the most common and most detrimental mistakes I see new brewers making[/QUO

This was my biggest mistake when I started. Pitched several batches around 80. They were so bad!

Ok so just so I have it right.
Turn heat off
Add DME stir rigorously
Bring to boil
Once at boil add hops and boil for 60 mins
Chill wort to 70
Put wort in fermenter
Pitch in yeast

This about right

Wort is currently at 80 and about to put in the fermenter. Used 1oz of star san in 5 gallons water. Does my equipment have to be completely dry before I auto syphon from the kettle to the Carboy?

Wort is currently at 80 and about to put in the fermenter. Used 1oz of star san in 5 gallons water. Does my equipment have to be completely dry before I auto syphon from the kettle to the Carboy?

No. StarSan works best if the items sanitized with it remain wet. Liquid StarSan should be poured out of vessels, but don't worry about the foam. The phosphoric acid in StarSan is actually good for the yeast. The working solution is very dilute, and any residues get diluted even more by wort/beer. Unless you accidentally leave a bunch in a vessel, you will never taste it in your beer. Phosphoric acid is also a food additive. Most colas contain phosphoric acid.

Brew on :mug:

Last edited:

Wet is perfectly fine (even preferred). If you happen to have some foam left behind after draining that is perfectly fine as well.

Just put into fermenter and pitched yeast. My boil was 4gal and had to top off with almost 2 gallons. Is this normal

Thanks for all the advice guys think my first brew went pretty good. Been in the fermenter for about 2 hours no bubbles yet but hopefully it will be bubbling in the morning

Just bottled my first batch. It was a Mr Beer so dont know how its gonna be. Gonna brew a Hefeweizen tomorrow.

Back