First brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blarsen71

Reaction score
Noticed today that my airlock stopped jumping after just 4 days of fermentation. Should I be concerned?

swackattack said:
No. that's normal, fermentation is slowing. Leave it another week and check gravity

Awesome. Thanks you for the quick response.

Yea I'm on day 5 on my first batch. Mine is also stopped bubbling. I was also concerned and wanted to check it or get a reading. These guys convinced me otherwise. Its still bubbles very so often if you want to stay and watch for it. I will prolly wait till day 14 or 16 to check the gravity and bottle.

That's a good point about airlock bubbling. Just because you can't see any bubbling doesn't mean fermenting is done. It's just going at a much less active rate and cleaning up itself. I usually do a FG at day 8 to see where it is. If it's done I'll wait 3 days and do a final one to make sure. Then I'll bottle on day 12, never sooner though. I know 2 weeks is recommended but if FG is steady for 3 days I'll bottle, on lighter brews. Heavier ones about 18 days if FG has been stable for 4 days.

When the airlock stops or slows down,you can be resonably sure that initial fermentation is done. It'll then slowly,uneventfully ferment down to a stable FG. When that's measured,give it another 3-7 days to clean up itself & settle out clear or slightly misty.
Then bulk prime & bottle.

Back