First Brew Question - Flocculation(with pics))

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmar836

Reaction score
My EPA(from an AHS extract kit) has been in primary for about 3 1/2 days. Yeast was 11 gms of dry Windsor. My concern is that, after an explosion of activity at about 18hrs, airlock activity had basically stopped at the 36hr check. Now the beer is about clear on day 3. I was planning on bottling after 3 weeks. I have taken no SG readings yet(don't want to waste beer this early). I know it's tough to screw up a kit but this lack of activity and rapid clearing on day 3 seems early. Is this normal or is this early flocculation? Just looking for ideas.

Day 0

Day1: (about 18hrs)

Lots of aggressive activity at 18 hrs was exciting:

Day 2: No airlock activity. Overall milky appearance but still with some very fine yeast movement.

Day 2 1/2: No airlock acitvity. An occasional small CO2 bubble from the trub. Obvious settling.

Day 3: No airlock nor activity from the trub. Clearing up.

Haven't used Windsor so can't comment on the length of the fermentation, but the yeast look like they are close to finishing off that beer. What was the fermentation temperature? Did it get overly warm allowing an aggressive and quick fermentation?
Take hydrometer readings on day seven and ten.

Looked up the yeast on Danstars' site.
"Quick start to fermentation, which can be completed in 3 days above 17°C.
• Moderate attenuation, which will leave a relatively high gravity.
• Fermentation rate, fermentation time and degree of attenuation is dependent on inoculation density, yeast handling, fermentation temperature and the nutritional quality of the wort."

That yeast is a monster,for what it is.
Remember that the attenuation level is low,so it will not have had much to do.
Done in three or four days does not surprise me at all.

Cool. Should I plan on waiting the three weeks or start taking SG readings earlier?
Thanks,
Dave

Cool. Should I plan on waiting the three weeks or start taking SG readings earlier?
Thanks,
Dave

I usually wait a week after fermentation is complete to take the first SG reading. My yeast takes longer to finish fermenting so this is at about the two week mark.
Your fermentation looks complete. With your beer I would taking the first SG reading at day seven from the start of active fermentation.

In general higher fermentation temperatures will make it go faster. That is not to say that higher temperatures is good. It can lead to off flavors and the production of hot tasting fusel alcohols.

Try to control the fermentation temperature to the lower half of the recommended range for each yeast.

If you are in a hurry wait another few days and take a reading, two days later take another, if they are the same you can bottle.

I go 2 weeks at least, and usually 3-4 on all my brews. Longer is almost always better than too short.

Thanks guys.
I have it in the basement so I'm thinking in the low 70s temp range - certainly above 17C(62F). We're having outdoor temps mid 90s this week! I'm sure not ready to mechanically temp control my fermentation at this stage so I'm afraid keeping a pale ale at 60F is out of the question for me. That seems an uncommon goal for ales, no?
Perhaps a simple water bath/fan would be in order for my next batch.
Dave

Latest posts

Back