First brew getting ready for Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pycks611

Reaction score
So I've done everything up to the fermenting stage on a Brewer's Best kit, and decided to let the fermenting last for 10 days instead of 7, because on day 7 it was still bubbling pretty good at the airlock and I did want to rob myself of any alcoholic content by not letting the yeast finish eating. I think thats ok.

So I cracked her open tonight and was going to start bottling, but thought it looked a little too hazy. So, I had some of this "Super-Kleer KC Finings" and added it to try and clear it up before I siphon it.

BUT HERE's THE QUESTION...
Is it wrong to try the beer before it carbonates? I couldn't resist.

When I opened the bucket, it smelled pretty damn good, warm, but good.
And yes. It tasted as good as it smelled.

So I think I may use the tap-a-draft thing i bought and force carbonate one bottle just so I CAN drink it SOON! I know its not the same, but I don't care. I'm inpatient as a mofo.

~Pycks

I wouldnt use the time frame listed on any recipe. I would use a hydrometer to determine if the beer is finished or not. Airlock activity is not a good judge of fermentation. Also, I would leave the beer in the primary for more then 7 days. The longer time in the primary alows the yeast to clean up after themselves and makes for a cleaner tasting beer. Also, it allows the beer to ferment out fully which prevents bottle bombs.

I taste the sample at every stage in the process. To me, its kind of interesting to see how the beer matures over time.

The above poster has some solid advice. I leave my brews in the primary for 2 weeks (sometimes 3 if im patient!).

Theres nothing wrong at all with tasting, I would encourage it. Lets you know what stages your beer goes through.

Sometimes I will bottle a single beer after a week, let it carb for a week and chill it for two, pop it open just for fun. Yes, its green and isnt at its full potential but it gives you something tangible to look forward to in the meantime and wont harm anything. Good luck.

Back