First brew done fermenting!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PolishStout

Reaction score
198317_10100532279125184_2344887_71100057_3831029_n.jpg

my bockish ale is done! I'm on spring break this week so luckily I will have time to bottle it soon. to be honest though, I'm really liking it as it is without carbonation and at a cellar temperature.

if I wanted to keep some of it uncarbonated for my rustic tastes, could I just fill up a growler or two and keep it as it is? or do growlers just not "keep" that well.

198317_10100532279125184_2344887_71100057_3831029_n.jpg

my bockish ale is done! I'm on spring break this week so luckily I will have time to bottle it soon. to be honest though, I'm really liking it as it is without carbonation and at a cellar temperature.

if I wanted to keep some of it uncarbonated for my rustic tastes, could I just fill up a growler or two and keep it as it is? or do growlers just not "keep" that well.

Nice picture!

Growlers keep just fine- IF you're drinking it at one sitting. Pouring will oxidize it, and by the next day it will be ruined.

would a full growler keep if it were stored somewhere? that is to say, if I filled the growler and put it in the cellar would it keep as long as I wasn't drinking from it?

another question.

if I were to bottle a few without priming and let them sit, would they age in a similar fashion as if they were primed?

I'm kinda new to these things and am not totally familiar with the idea of bottle conditioning.

another question.

if I were to bottle a few without priming and let them sit, would they age in a similar fashion as if they were primed?.

I would imagine this would be similar, if not exactly the same, as using a secondary.

good point. but...would it condition at all? would the beer undergo any changes while sitting bottled? or would it be just as green as when I put it in there (to be honest though, I'm not really getting much of a green flavor like I've read about others getting).

I've tried searching for info about no-carb conditioning, but all I'm coming up with is threads of "why is my beer flat?". so if anyone can point me toward some good reading info, I'd love to hear about it.

No-carb conditioning, if I'm understanding what you mean, would be similar to putting into a secondary. Racking to secondary is simply taking your beer from the primary fermentation vessel and putting it into another clean/sanitized vessel with no priming solution. However, if you are putting them into bottles they may still carb some because there is no airlock for the Co2 to escape if fermentation isn't complete.

Is there a specific reason you would want to do this? It hardly sounds practical when you can simply rack to a secondary.

just that I would like to carb most of it. but would like to have some uncarbed onhand for drinking purposes as well.

You could carb them all, and if you want a flat one just open it up the day before and leave it in the fridge with aluminum foil over it.

Latest posts

Back