Imperial Rustic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaisonMan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've had a Saison fermenting for a week using Imperial Rustic yeast. The gravity has gone from 1.056 to 1.009, where it's been for two days. It's my first time using this particular yeast, and I'm not sure what to expect in terms of attenuation. Is it likely done or will the gravity go down more? Just curious more than anything else. I'll keep it in the fermenter at least another week.

I think you guessed right. It’s at .008 after 10 days, though sometimes the Tilt will bump back to .009. That’s at 80F. I’m probably going to keg it at the two-week mark. I don’t know if there’s a benefit to keeping a Saison in the fermenter longer.

I think you guessed right. It’s at .008 after 10 days, though sometimes the Tilt will bump back to .009. That’s at 80F. I’m probably going to keg it at the two-week mark. I don’t know if there’s a benefit to keeping a Saison in the fermenter longer.
In my experience, it's usually done in one week. Better save than sorry, so I'd wait for another week.

Great yeast btw.

My favourite saison yeast.

Open fermentation for the first two or three days is a very good idea with this strain.

I was visiting Gulfport, MS recently. Really liked a Saison I had at a local brewery and asked the owner what he used: Imperial. It had some pepper to it that I liked. We’ll see what I get with mine.

I was visiting Gulfport, MS recently. Really liked a Saison I had at a local brewery and asked the owner what he used: Imperial. It had some pepper to it that I liked. We’ll see what I get with mine.
If you do open fermentation for the first few days, pepper gets enhanced.

I have a SS Brewtech conical. Would open fermentation involve taking off the whole lid for three days or just the 3-inch port that holds the blowoff tube?
Removing the whole lid and replacing it with some kind of fabric would be best. Lots of surface area for air exchange. Keep the thin fabric in place with a rubber band. It's purely against insects and such.

I've had a Saison fermenting for a week using Imperial Rustic yeast. The gravity has gone from 1.056 to 1.009, where it's been for two days. It's my first time using this particular yeast, and I'm not sure what to expect in terms of attenuation. Is it likely done or will the gravity go down more? Just curious more than anything else. I'll keep it in the fermenter at least another week.
Impossible to say. Will depend on grain bill, mash conditions (temp, liquor to grist ratio), O2, yeast count, temperature etc. in my experience (and under conditions i use for Saison) Id expect it to finish drier.
Cheers!

Back