First Batch Question(s)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonesy1979

Reaction score
Today I started a VERY simple first attempt at a hard cider type recipe. I used 5 gallons of Mott's Apple Juice. Added 5 camden tabs, yeast starter, and pitched WLP 775 English Cider Yeast. Starting gravity at 70 degrees was 1.050.

How long should I let this ferment for?
What flavors might I expect from such a simple batch?
Does this recipe sound completely screwed?

I do plan on bottle cabonating this batch when it is complete. Any tips and advice would be appreciated!:mug:

Looks like me and you are both newbies to this, I just started my first batch about a week ago used wegmans 100% apple juice. I used no Campden tabs and used champagne yeast. Mine was done in about 5 days and tastes like a dry wine. The only thing I can say that I learned from mine is that it could definitely be sweeter so maybe add some sugar to boost abv and/or sweeten.

Are you pleased with the taste overall? I know you can back sweeten the entire batch but this can complicate bottling. Did your batch clear up thoroughly?

I have recently bottled my first cider which was a kit that I added fruit to. I also have two other all juice ciders in process now. Not too sure on expected flavours but they will certainly change over time.
I've read heaps in this and other forums and will follow the basic idea of primary fermenting for at least a month then rack it to another fermenter for at least another two months.
My first cider, I cold crashed the secondary for a week before bottling which cleared it up well. I bottled carbonated and that is in process now.
Adding sugar will not sweeten your cider, just increase alcohol. To sweeten, an unfermentable sweetener needs to be used or you need to stop fermentation earlier, which then complicates bottle carbonating.
You can't rush a cider and 5 days fermenting won't be long enough to get a good idea of how the end product will turn out.
Most of thos advice is based on common themes I have read and I'm sure others can be more specific on details with their practical experience.

I have read several threads advising to wait 24 hours after adding the campden tablets prior to pitching the yeast....Of course I read that now! I added it all at the same time. Is this going to cause problems with fermentation starting up or should I be fine?

I have read several threads advising to wait 24 hours after adding the campden tablets prior to pitching the yeast....Of course I read that now! I added it all at the same time. Is this going to cause problems with fermentation starting up or should I be fine?

It'll be fine regarding the campden, which will have little to no effect on a commercial yeast. Most wait 24 hrs to pitch yeast since they add the campden at the same time as pectic enzyme which is supposedly inhibited by the presence of alcohol.

Jonesy1979 said:
Are you pleased with the taste overall? I know you can back sweeten the entire batch but this can complicate bottling. Did your batch clear up thoroughly?

I only tasted it while it was warm and its a bit premature tasting so I can't comment on the taste yet. It's clearing in the fridge I need to get some tubing so I can rack it, like I said I'm still a newbie as well. I think I'll back sweeten it with apple juice concentrate, I don't see why back sweetening would cause a problem with bottling though.
As for sugar not adding sweetness and only alcohol I have to disagree, if you get your potential alcohol up to say 10% and test it every day until its down to 5% you can just cold crash or pasteurize and the remaining 5% of sugar will remain unfermented. I was thinking of doing this with my next batch instead of back sweetening. Say maybe get it up to 15% wait til its down to 8% then cold crash and leave sealed in hopes if carbonation a s not bottle bombs. I figure ill use a 2 liter to do this so I can see how the carb is doing. Like I said this is all theory but it seems it would work.

My starting gravity was 1.050 at 70 degrees on 10/17/12. Today, 10/27/12 i racked it to the secondary and the gravity reading was 1.010 and tasted like a semi-dry white apple wine. How long should this stay in the secondary before back sweetening/bottle carbing this batch? Again this is my first attempt.

Back