First batch metalic taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClayMugs

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been looking at this sight since my brother got me the Cooper's Kit, I have enjoyed reading about other brewers' experiences and finally decided to add my own.

I opened my first bottle of Cooper's Lager and it has a very distinctive vodka/metalic like taste to it. I followed the instructions that the kit came with, the only modification was that I boiled the wort for 45 minutes. Fermentation took six days and i had constant hydrometer readings before I bottled. I waited 14 days before I chilled the bottle and opened it. The second bottle from earlier in the bottling procedure is much better tasting. Anyone have any ideas what this taste is from?

Thanks.

What kind of spoon did you use? Was the pot 100% stainless? I ask because I was fooled by a stainless pot only to have my stir bar stick to it :( Also, somtimes people don't realize wooden/stainless/plastic are all you can use in the brew.

I used the plastic spoon that came with the kit, just checked the pot it says 18/10 stainless steel on the bottom. The water, because I was unsure of the mineral content, I used 3 gallons of bottled water, reverse osmosis, and two gallons from the tap for the boil.

I opened a couple more beers, 2 from the start of the bottling and 2 from the end. The metallic taste is almost not there in the beginning but is prominant in the later bottles

I am wondering if it is a time issue. My current drinking brew had that same exact taste 4-5 days ago. This weekend it is absolutely perfect. If you are seeing this taste off and on in the same batch then I am thinking it will even out overtime.

People always point to the brewpot, but I find that the most common culprit is high levels of magnesium in the water. Brew with a good brand of spring water and see if that fixes it.

I used to have an enamel brew pot, and got a very metallic taste when the enamel chipped. Not surprising. I switched to a SS pot, and got a similar flavor a couple times with that. In the cases with the SS pot, the flavor completely disappeared after about 3 weeks extra aging.

-a.

Since I've started bottling from the keg I've noticed a metallic taste on a couple of the bottled beers. It must be coming from my caps as I've never tasted it from the tap. Sometimes, though, my bottling gets interrupted and it may be 3-4 days before I bottle again. I usually leave the caps in the star san in the vinator. I left some in there for at least a week or 10 days and ended up throwing them away as they had obvious rust spots on them.

Back