First Batch IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greensparrow

Reaction score
So I'm working on my first batch of the TrueBrew IPA and just bottled yesterday. I had it in the primary for a week and then secondary for about two weeks. I took a little taste before bottling and the IPA tasted almost syrupy. Not really sure what I did wrong. Will the taste change a little while conditioning in the bottle for the next couple weeks? Wasn't bad...just didn't necessarily taste like a typical IPA.

You know what the OG and FG was? I'm guessing you didn't have a complete fermentation or it finished on the high side.

OG = 1.050
FG = 1.012

They were both in the range on the instructions.

yeah for that fg it should be fine. Only other thing I can think would be steeping grains or your LME/DME. That being said I know Ive had quite a few batches where my intial taste of the beer before bottle carbing and conditioning was pretty far from what the final product tasted like. It will take a minimum of 2 weeks to carb and most likley be 3 or more to balance. I wouldn't worry I think it will be just fine given some time in those bottles.

Will the taste change a little while conditioning in the bottle for the next couple weeks?
YES. Drastically in my opinion. I thought the rye IPA I recently made tasted really thick and syrupy when flat. Now that it's carbed it's awesome!:rockin:

I bet yours will improve over time.:mug:

Uncarbed beers always taste sweet to me. I've brewed an IPA that had NO hopiness in it when I was bottling but 4 weeks later it definitely has hops and carbonation.

Another IPA I brewed tasted HORRENDOUS when I was bottling. I had it written off as a drainer but I waited it out about 6 weeks and it's not half bad.

Yeah it should taste totally different once fully carbed. It took filling 6-7 bottles last time until I realize no priming sugar was added. I had a couple from this batch last night and one had good carbonation and the other did not. I drank it, but the uncarbed one was definitely a little sweeter.

While on the subject of taste, and sorry if this is interrupting the thread, but my brew last night (Pale Ale) had a lemon/sour taste. Not a pucker-type lemon taste, but almost like I squeezed a lemon wedge similar to Corona and lime. Would 1 oz of Cascade at 30 min and 10 min do that? This is my first batch where Cascades only were used for flavor and aroma. Sorry again, just don't think this deserves it's own thread.

Back