First batch blunders

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierGut

Reaction score
So I brewed my first AG batch yesterday, 5 gallons of APA. My assistant and I had a lot of fun and I'm sure the beer will be delicious but we did fumble our way through the day.

Sunday morning 9am: My digital scale only measures about 900 grams at a time (my recipe is in oz.), no big deal, it just took a little bit of math and measuring for my 3883g of base malt. Ok next comes the 1lb.0.5oz. of Munich Malt, or so I thought, I accidentally measured out Crystal 20, whoops...I brush it off as a rookie mistake.

This being the first time using my barley crusher it was recommended that I run .5lb of grain through it and discard it. I thought "oh just my luck because I'd used .5lb too much Crystal 20 anyway", so my assistant dumps it into the hopper and I start milling using my cordless drill. The grain was hardly crushed, if at all? Hmmmm run it through again....same thing. One more time. Oh duh, I'm pushing the grain up and over the rollers instead of pulling it through. Ok one more time. Battery dead. One fully charged battery pack later and now we have a perfect crush.:rockin:

I'm reluctant to use water from my garden hose so we fill up in the kitchen. On our way out the door the ball valve gets bumped against something and opens it full bore, shooting maybe a qt. of water into my kitchen.

Water heated, mash in, hit our temps. Mash out, batch sparge, hit our pre-boil gravity of 1.047. We do a 60 minute boil and we're right at 5 gallons, hitting our target post boil gravity of 1.056. Chilled and yeast pitched. I guess we didn't do too bad during the second half of the day but it sure did start off messy.

:mug:

Oh man, sounds like my brew days.. I've done this a hundred times and always something happens like that no matter how hard I try not to do something dumb. You are not alone brother... Just EMBRACE THE SUCK!

Congrats and report back on how it turns out!

That's about par for the course in my brewing, something has to get off kilter! But it sounds like the things that matter were hit well. Congrats on making proper beer!

I think my first AG was probably one of my more successful (or most textbook, anyway)...probably because I was watching everything like a hawk. At least for me, the more comfortable I am with the process, the more mistakes I'm prone to make it seems! Just wait...it gets even better sometimes!

Oh man, sounds like my brew days.. I've done this a hundred times and always something happens like that no matter how hard I try not to do something dumb. You are not alone brother... Just EMBRACE THE SUCK!

Congrats and report back on how it turns out!

I'll be sure to report back how it turned out because it'll also be my first batch that gets kegged.

Update: after 10 days in the primary gravity dropped from 1.056 to 1.003, 6.96% ABV with 94% attenuation. I was a little concerned after chilling the wort that my yeast would be sluggish. With the ground water being so cold in the North East my chiller took it from 70* to 60* within 2 minutes, plus I had my carboy in the 60* basement. After the first few days of active fermentation I put a space heater in my ferm chamber and raised the ambient air temps over the last 4 days. Thick, creamy krausen never wanted to fall. This was also my first time using Mosaic hops and wow this beer smells like pineapples and papaya.

Back