"True" Sparge Volume.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oakbarn

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We use BeerSmith3 and know some "WAG" stuff about Batch Sparge Volume.

We use BruControl (@BrunDog) to automate our Brewery.
It is fairly easy to control the Flow of your Brew Day and also fill the Mash Tun with close to a desired volume of Sparge Water.

Our Mash Tun has ZERO dead space (Bottom Drain).

We normally use a single Batch Sparge.

We measure our First Run Volume after transferring the WORT to our Brew Kettle.
That Volume is stored in BruControl (and later exported to a Batch File via Node-Red).

We also "know" our PreBoil volume from BeerSmith3.

Since the PreBoil Volume is the "First Run Volume" + "Sparge Volume"

Aside: The "Boil Off" in BeerSmith3 has been updated to "our" Brewery Equipment Profile.

Our "True" Sparge Volume should be

"Sparge Volume" = "PreBoil Volume" - "First Run"

This would give a a practical amount that is based upon the actual condition (we know the actual volume of the "First Run"), and not some theoretical calculated volume.

Comments? Corrections?

I was working in BruControl and using some of the 'Rule of Thumb" to calculate my Sparge Volume, but soon realized that the "rules" were too loose and did not take into account "grain volume" when you have a "heavy high OG" beer.

I was also adding this calculation in BruControl and realized that we "flush" our HERMS Coil and manifold for about a minute prior to transferring our first run. That water will now be accounted for in the "First Run".

I found the
We use BeerSmith3 and know some "WAG" stuff about Batch Sparge Volume.

Comments?
When I started brewing again in the modern era, I used the volume calculator on beer smith also, and it gives pretty good numbers on strike and sparge water volumes for the grain bill entered in program. It was a helpful tool for sure, but after a while I used as a ballpark estimator, and these days, vary rarely. I pretty much know what volumes I need based on grist bill, for my rig anyway.

I do a semi fly sparge, it is fly sparged but with predetermined amount of sprage water. But I'll put some more water though if pre boil wort volume target is not reached, or if gravity of last runnings is still high.

With a batch sparge, I'd say do what you are doing, but if target pre boil wort volume is low, don't hesitate to put some more water though until target volume is reached. Taking gravity readings on final runnings is a good way to check sparge efficinecy, tasting works too.

Back