First Batch almost done?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nfrayer

Reaction score
Anyways, my first batch ever has been sitting in its secondary for a week now. I siphoned out a small bit, using very steril precautions, just to see how its coming along. Initial gravity was 1.042, but that was about 77 degrees, so we will say 1.044. At the stage its at right now, the hydrometer reading is 1.010. Its a beautiful, clear, amber color. I was planning on waiting another week, but if its not necessary, I could definately use the carboy for my second batch which is already in the fermenter. Would I be bottling too soon If I shoot for Sunday, today being friday, or should I wait a full 2 weeks which would be this thursday.?

6lbs. Northwestern Golden LME
1 1/2 oz Centenial hops 60min left
1 oz Cascade 15 min left

Should be a fine pale ale.

Trust your instinct! If it's clear, reads the correct FG and tastes good, then bottle it. Brewing is an art and a science, so use your artistic side and decide whether it's ready for bottling, you don't have to always follow a formula.

The taste, in my opinion, is right on. Everything so far has gone according to plan. Simple first time brew. I don't want to rush it, but excitement abounds. Plan on taking another hydo reading on sunday, and if its the same, we are bottling.:rockin:

1.010 sounds like the right number for a finished gravity that was 1.044 to start.

however, it should have never been put in secondary until it was done fermenting.

Secondary is NOT a fermentation period, its a clearing period. beer should've been 1.010 before putting into secondary. if its not done and you rack it off the yeast, they have to reproduce again to finish the beer, and it stresses them out a bit, which can lead to off flavors.

The beer was most definately done fermenting, it was put in the Secondary with a gravity of 1.012. From what I've been reading, alot of ales will drop .001 or .002 in the secondary. Maybe from the sediment clearing.

Latest posts

Back