First all-grain success with BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivercat96

Reaction score
After 4+ years of extract brewing I finally took the step of all-grain and am glad I did. If there are any extract or mini-mash brewers out there who are sitting on the fence I'd like to say that BIAB made the transition to all-grain really simple, fun, and easy, I honestly felt like I was cheating a bit and I'm sure some of the brewers out there would agree.

Here's my recipe that I created with a beer calculator on Hopville's website: http://beercalculus.hopville.com/recipe. I wanted to create a amber/red ale that had a nice balanced hop and roasted malt profile that wasn't too sweet.

8 lbs. 2 row pale malt
12 oz. Crystal 60
6 oz. Munich
4 oz. Crystal 120
(Grain was double ground at LHBS)

1 oz. Willamette (75 min.)
1 oz. Willamette ( 15 min.)
2 tsp. Irish Moss (10 min.)

Wyeast American Ale 1056

Boil volume 7 gal, batch volume 5.25 gal.
75 min mash at 152ish with stirring every 15 min, 10 min mashout at 170ish with constant stirring before bag was pulled and drained into a colander with bowl underneath. I squeezed the bag pretty good and got most of the wort out of it. I did a 90 min boil after reading an article on BIAB from one of the Australian pioneers of the technique.
Hopville said my O.G. should have been 1.044 with 70% efficiency and a F.G. of 1.011. I just brewed this yesterday so I don't know the F.G. but the O.G. after boiling and cooling was 1.050! I think I got a hair over 5 gallons into my fermenter so I'm guessing that if I had 5.25 my O.G. would of still been in the high 1.040's. That's somewhere in the ball park of 75% efficiency I believe. This is still new for me so I may have made an error somewhere with the calcs. If I'm right on that would be a very respectable efficiency for a first all-grain w/ BIAB.

I boiled my tap water before the mash for 10 min to off gas any chlorine and that was about it for water preparation, didn't pH, no gypsum, nada. I have good water from the Sierra Nevada's that's pumped out of Folsom Lake. I checked for conversion with some idophor after the mashout and didn't see any dark blues or black colors. That was the exciting/nerve racking step. Purchased an extra large nylon grain bag from the LHBS in Folsom and that held up pretty well, I pulled the bag out very carefully after the mash and hoped it held up. Placed a stainless steel colander on the bottom of my keggle to keep the bag off the bottom during the mash. I'll let everyone know what my F.G. is in a couple weeks. BIAB kicks ass and the efficiency was much higher than I planned! :mug:

Much appreciated guys. Thanks again for all the brewers and BIAB'ers on this forum, I've learned quite a bit over the years. If I can hit 75% extraction rates consistently with BIAB I'll be a happy man. I'm waiting for someone or something to rain on my parade but so far so good. Serioulsy, this method seems too easy, one vessel, quick set up and clean up, small footprint, etc. The brew session went so smoothly I was able to barbecue some sausages, burgers, and chicken while the grains were mashing. And of course down a few brews. In between checking the temps, stirring, and bumping the temp up a couple times with the burner I was actually able to explain the basics to a couple friends who've never brewed. They were like, **** this is pretty simple, LOL.

Back