First all-grain brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Browne123

Reaction score
I just found a great deal on a keggle and mash tun that I couldn't pass up! I have been brewing extract for about three years and decided I was long overdue for an upgrade. I already had everything I needed for an extract IPA but got WAY too excited having just bought the new equipment. So I did some research, picked up some grains from my LHBS, and decided to go for it!
So I'm posting because I came up with a very basic IPA recipe (with the help of beersmith) and I was hoping for some constructive criticism/helpful advice. So here it is;

First AG IPA (IIPA maybe?)

11 lbs. Pale Malt 2-row
1 lb. Vienna Malt
1 lb. Crystal 20L
1 lb. Carapils
1 oz. Chinook (60 min)
1 oz. Chinook (20 min)
1/2 oz. Cascade (10 min)
1/2 oz. Cascade (5 min)
1 tsp. Irish Moss (15 min)
Wyeast American Ale II (with 500ml starter for 24 hrs.)

Single temp infusion of 4.8 gls. @ 155 degrees F for 75 minutes.

Batch sparge of 5 gls. @ 167 degrees F.

90 minute boil with hop additions as listed above.

O.G. 1.072

I brewed exactly 7 days ago. I am thinking about transferring to the secondary and dry-hopping with 1 oz. Cascade hops soon.

Any advice is much appreciated and happy brewing.

Cheers!

Yea, you're on the gravity range of IIPA, but you have it hopped like a pale ale. You need way more late hops. What are your IBUs? Also, you have a lot of crystal malt in there (2lbs) which is 15% of the grainbill- that's amber ale/brown ale range, as far as percentages go. The beer may be sweeter than you intended. Any chance of getting some more hops for your late additions?

If you want to highlight aroma, I would double your late hop additions. Maybe add a 15 minute addition of Cascade (1/2 oz) and another 1/2 oz of it at flameout.

I'd also drop that cara-pils and replace it with another pound of 2-row. You really shouldn't need it in there.

Well I actually have an ounce of Summit hops that I left out because beersmith showed the IBU's already at 69. With summit added it was approaching 100. Maybe I should have thrown that in anyway. Maybe substituted that for one of the chinooks..
What percentage of crystal malt is typical of IPAs? Or IIPAs?
Thanks for the feedback!

In my IPAs and IIPAs I use about 10% crystal-20.

Most recipes and recommendations tend to keep the crystal portion of the grain bill below 15%.

If you've liked Summit in the past then definitely add some late in the boil. It won't add much in the way of bittering after the 5-minute point.

I would like to hear how your first all grain batch turns out: better yet send me some. I have been looking at several different ideas for mash tuns and their bottoms. I am gathering parts for my slow, slow, slow upgrade now. Please re-post when you have tried it. Thanks, DragonHead

Back